584,863 active members*
4,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Finding the right CAM software

Finding the right CAM software

Im looking for a bit of help here from the professionals.
    5 months ago I purchased my first CNC router, a 2 year old Biesse Rover 5x12 flat bed, with 2 Minks 10hp pumps. it has a 12 bit tool holder, vertical X and Y 10 bit drill banks, horizontal X,Y bores, and a saw for the X.
    I hired a Biesse service tech to come set up the router and teach us how to us it. I can do the basics but im finding that Biesse works (the CAM software) that came with the machine is not very intuitive. it is also having a hard time importing complicated DXF files from our CAD program. from what i have read Biesseworks does well with Autocad, unfortunately we dont run Auto CAD we run vector works. So instead of trying to upgrade (debatable vector works vs Auto CAD) I would like to purchase a CAM and bi pass biesseworks all together.
    Let me give you a bit of background on what we are looking to do. I have 3 CAD designers that use Vector works as the primary drafting program for build drawings and client renderings. We design and build custom trade show exhibits. We will be cutting everything from aluminum, plastic, plywood, hardwood, foams and anything else we can shove under it. we rarely do traditional cabinets by it would be nice to have that capability specially when it comes to redoing my kitchen... Mostly we will be creating drawings in vector works exporting as DXF files and looking to a 3rd party software to tool path them and post to the router. in addition to this it would be nice to have something intuitive enough that our shop guys can jump on the CPU in the shop and have it cut simple parts. right now you have to be a rocket engineer to cut a simple circle with a square in the middle in Biesse works.
    The Program's that im considering are; Enroute, Art CAM, Cabinet vision, AlphaCAM, Master CAM and SoildWorks CAM.
    Im really hoping for some good non biased opinions on which to go with and which to stay away from.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for the reply Marcus but I'm really looking for a non biased opinion from people that have tried multiple programs and their experiences with each. I will check out Artclip 3D

I'd take a very serious look at CadCode. It's a very flexible package that can be extremely fast once you understand how to use it. I used it for about 10 years at a previous job. It could create ready to run code for hundreds of .dxf files in a few seconds.

I currently use AlphaCAM and don't like it nearly as much, as it require more time to do the same thing.

I would stay away from Cabinet Vision, since you won't really be doing cabinets parts, which is what it's designed for.

One thing that is very important is the compatibility of your .dxf files with the CAM programs. I've never used Biessworks, but if it supposedly works well with AutoCAD .dxf's, but not Vector Works, then perhaps Vector Works is using different entity types than what Biesse Works is expecting.

Many of the higher end CAM packages for the woodworking industry should have some functionality to automate a lot if not all of the process of going from .dxf to g-code. But, it's very important that the .dxf files are created properly. This can mean that lines should be drawn in the correct order you want them cut, as well as the right direction. When using a cabinet package, .dxf files are generated automatically and exactly the way that most CAM programs expect them to be. This also includes drawing entities being on correct layers that follow a naming convention that describes the entire cut process for that particular entity, whether it's boring, routing, or sawing.

I'd probably say to look at CadCode, AlphaCAM or MasterCAM. Be prepared for a steep learning curve with quite a bit of training. And to take advantage of some of the automation I was talking about, you'll need a pretty good operator.

I wouldn't even consider having shop guys attempt to occasionally create g-code on the shop floor. I'm a firm believer that all the programming should be done in the office, unless the programmer is also the machine operator. The learning curve is to steep, and a good operator in the office should be able to knock out in 2-3 minutes what might take 20 minutes for a guy on the floor to do.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the thoughts Gerry.
    After giving it more thought you are probably right about not having the shop guys on the machine.
    I was leaning away from cabinet vision because like you pointed out seemed to be more catered towards cabinet packages.
    I'll check out the 3 you listed,

thanks again for your time.

Jim