584,846 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone use Creo Elements?

In an ongoing effort to learn new software whenever possible, I've recently downloaded Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 4.0. However, there seems to be very little documentation on it and most of what I've found is based on a previous version. Most of the program is quite obvious, but I'm having trouble bring 2d DXF drawing (imported from other CAD software) into the 3d workspace. The information for previous versions suggests that you use "Edit-->Copy" and "Edit-->Paste", but in version 4.0 they have eliminated the "Edit" menu entirely.

I've accidentally been able to move a line drawing into the 3d model space from the 2d Annotation window, but I can't for the life of me figure out the exact sequence I used. It was something along the lines of selecting the drawing and using ctr+c and ctl+v, but I've not been able to repeat the results since then.

It's interesting software that seems to allow for a lot of work on dumb solids. It's not a parametric modeler really, but allows for some very unique (in practice) push pull manipulation of models in a manner that kind of mimics parametric modeling. The only limit seems to be the number of "parts" (max of 60), but otherwise is fully functional and free.

Curious if anyone here has any experience with it......

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    In an ongoing effort to learn new software whenever possible, I've recently downloaded Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 4.0. However, there seems to be very little documentation on it and most of what I've found is based on a previous version. Most of the program is quite obvious, but I'm having trouble bring 2d DXF drawing (imported from other CAD software) into the 3d workspace. The information for previous versions suggests that you use "Edit-->Copy" and "Edit-->Paste", but in version 4.0 they have eliminated the "Edit" menu entirely.

I've accidentally been able to move a line drawing into the 3d model space from the 2d Annotation window, but I can't for the life of me figure out the exact sequence I used. It was something along the lines of selecting the drawing and using ctr+c and ctl+v, but I've not been able to repeat the results since then.

It's interesting software that seems to allow for a lot of work on dumb solids. It's not a parametric modeler really, but allows for some very unique (in practice) push pull manipulation of models in a manner that kind of mimics parametric modeling. The only limit seems to be the number of "parts" (max of 60), but otherwise is fully functional and free.

Curious if anyone here has any experience with it......
    Hey mmoe,
    Had an older version. loaded the new version. Here's the workflow to open your dxfs and bring them into the 3d direct modeler:

creo 2d to 3d - YouTube

I bet the filleting is bad ash.

Just realized that the beginning of the video misses some of what I did. It starts with using file-open, and selecting a dxf (the open dialogue was on my other monitor during recording.)

Anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hey mmoe,
    Had an older version. loaded the new version. Here's the workflow to open your dxfs and bring them into the 3d direct modeler:

I bet the filleting is bad ash.
    Swwweeeettt! That's exactly what I was looking for.

The filleting is really pretty awesome for dumb solids. It's funny because even though it's not "parametric", you can still change a fillet later no problem by just entering a new value and it just fixes the model to match the new spec. In many ways, I think this is superior to true parametric modeling because it doesn't seem to save what you've done into parent/child trees that often start causing trouble, it's just open to changes later the same as it would be if the model were just imported that moment. This probably adds to the speed of the software, which really seems to be quite fast in generating geometry. I'm still messing with some of the settings, but it looks like you can eliminate the need to constantly hit "OK" as well, which makes it even more user friendly. Overall, I like it and will probably use it for the some of those projects that just need lots of pushing/pulling around. Most true parametric modelers seem to start getting buggy from that after a while where I haven't really noticed any glitching even after lots of manipulation in Creo, at least so far so good. Unbelievable that they are giving it away, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    Overall, I like it and will probably use it for the some of those projects that just need lots of pushing/pulling around. Most true parametric modelers seem to start getting buggy from that after a while where I haven't really noticed any glitching even after lots of manipulation in Creo, at least so far so good.
    Alot of that really comes down to the computer. Building your own or buying what "looks" powerful, just isnt the same. Start looking at 7-10K and up for the workstation.

Unbelievable that they are giving it away
    Yes, very cool. It's a really great way to demo the software. Their target sales are at selling the 20K+ stuff..... But, thats a cool bonus for "us"....