585,660 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > SX2 milling machine enclosure ideas wanted

SX2 milling machine enclosure ideas wanted

I have a SX2 mini mill bolted to my workbench, not cnc but i use it manually so still need to access all parts to operate. When using the machine the swarf goes everywhere, all over the bench and floor (and everything else in the shed) I am looking to build some sort of enclosure to keep all of the mess contained for an easy clear up at the end of the day. Im sure others with small sheds/workshops must have the same problem.

Has anyone any ideas on the best way to go about designing/building such an enclosure? Was thinking of perspex or similar so i can still see what i am doing but not sure how to design it so as to still be able to use the machine freely?

Any ideas welcome, thanks in advance
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenUK View Post
    I have a SX2 mini mill bolted to my workbench, not cnc but i use it manually so still need to access all parts to operate. When using the machine the swarf goes everywhere, all over the bench and floor (and everything else in the shed) I am looking to build some sort of enclosure to keep all of the mess contained for an easy clear up at the end of the day. Im sure others with small sheds/workshops must have the same problem.

Has anyone any ideas on the best way to go about designing/building such an enclosure? Was thinking of perspex or similar so i can still see what i am doing but not sure how to design it so as to still be able to use the machine freely?

Any ideas welcome, thanks in advance
    Darren
    Here is a quick one I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130701_202645.jpg  
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    Here is a quick one I did.
    Great job you did there, yes that's the sort of thing I had in mind but my issue is I use my machine manually. I am not sure what to do at the front so I am able to still operate the machine while keeping most of the mess inside the enclosure.

Generally for manual machines people set up barriers around the table. You can also get/make acrylic shields on magnetic bases that can be positioned around each cut.

I don't think you will ever get it perfect with a manual machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    Generally for manual machines people set up barriers around the table. You can also get/make acrylic shields on magnetic bases that can be positioned around each cut.

I don't think you will ever get it perfect with a manual machine.
    Thanks! Making something that fits around the table rather than the whole machine is a great idea that I hadn't thought of. That sounds more like it will fit my needs.

What are you cutting? Is coolant involved? At 1 time as an experiment I stretched the leg of a pantyhose around the table and up over the spindle, oddly enough it worked well. No I do not live in SF, it was my wifes ;-) I have also used plastic bins with the bottom cut out to the size of the table, as mentioned above magnets work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    What are you cutting? Is coolant involved? At 1 time as an experiment I stretched the leg of a pantyhose around the table and up over the spindle, oddly enough it worked well. No I do not live in SF, it was my wifes ;-) I have also used plastic bins with the bottom cut out to the size of the table, as mentioned above magnets work great.
    No coolant, just cutting aluminium, usually just spray with WD40 as I cut.

Try the panty hose idea. It will work great. Easy to access and who cares if you have to replace it.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I have an sx2 that I have converted to cnc. I just completed the enclosure. I built my enclosure right on top of my workbench. Now I can also run coolant as well as keep chips from going everywhere. The frame is made of 80/20 extruded aluminum and lexan. The lexan is sized to slide into the slot in the extrusion. I also used 80/20's corner connectors and slider addons. The corners make the box frame easy to build and the slider section is used to be able to slide doors open and closed. The doors are nothing more than lexan. The nice part of doors like this is that if you need to remove them you can do that without any tools in a sec.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	205326

something I collected elsewhere may help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1407.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    something I collected elsewhere may help?
    Something similar to this I think would work for me, thanks for the picture.

The local sheet metal company did this one for me. I had it powdercoated.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dyna_m...0_refit-2.html
    I installed an 80/20 frame around the sides approx 20" tall or so.