585,880 active members*
8,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma MX45 Tool arm and or spindle throwing tools

Okuma MX45 Tool arm and or spindle throwing tools

Hello all and thank you.
    we have a 1994 okuma MX-45AEV older machine but works well.
    we have had two tool stuck on tool change, at the pot and one at the spindle, unable to move the tool arm either way.
    after a day of down time dismantled the tool arm and dropped it down and removed the tools from the arm.
    I have reinstalled the arm as close to original and have run a tool change it it throws the tools.
    I do not have a repair manual can someone here please walk me through aligning the arm to the spindle, do I install a tool into the spindle and manually rotate the arm up to the tool or ? ? just not sure what is the proper way to align tool arm to spindle for tool changes.

Thank you for what you do
    be safe

Greg

Re: Okuma MX45 Tool arm and or spindle throwing tools

Do you use 4 atc button on right-up side operation panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, the root reason must be clarified.
    It here was a bang - the ATC arm could move a little.
    Fortunately, Okuma ATC arm is fricton lock equipped and easy to fix in that case.
    Another reason - maybe machine is not in level and the error is eough to prevent proper clamping.
    Next - pool studs.
    First what I would check - spindle in the tool change position and arm lifting little by little slowly tool coming to spindle. Check it the tool taper is in the center of the spindle - check if the clearance between spindle and tool taper is equal all round about.
    The spindle collet can be broken as a result of hits due to bad ATC adjustments.

Next important point to check is tool change arm "fingers". They are spring driven and should move smooth. Fingers release the tool when the arm is lifted bringing the tool shank to spindle and pins ( located next to the arm rotation axis ) are pressed down. Maybe clogged by chips and oil mixture.