585,715 active members*
3,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Drilling home-made linear rails

Drilling home-made linear rails

I have made some "v-groove" linear guides out of 3/16" cold rolled steel which will be used with the v-grooved Bishop Wisecarver type bearings. I am preparing to drill holes along the rails so they can be mounted to the side of 80/20 aluminum extrusion. I have a drill press and a drill press vise.

1. The rails will be held off the extrusion just a little with short standoffs so that the wheels can clear. How far apart would you recommend the holes/bolts be?

2. I will be using a 1/4" bit and to get them aligned as accurately as possible, should I mark the holes with a center punch before drilling? Or what would you suggest?

Thanks!

Distance apart? Well that depends on how much weight the rail needs to support.
    Center punch, and drill a few sizes under, otherwise the 1/4" bit will almost surely cut oversize, even if it is new.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

The rails are 3/16" thick x 1.5" wide, will be standing 'on edge' and will support about 35 lbs max.
    Thanks

On their edge. Well 12" or so would be fine. It is the stability between mountings, in the 3/16" direction that is important for you.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.