584,850 active members*
4,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Using KRMx02 to cut Bolts

I was working on a accessory plate for my KRmx01 CNC milling machine and needed four 1/4-20 bolts I did not have. I decided to use my KRMx02 CNC Router to cut them. The router has the RPMs needed to drive the cut off wheel so I thought I would give it a shot.

In the past I had used my Foredom and my mill to cut bolts but I wanted to cut all four at once and see how fast I could cut them.

I made a small jig that had four tapped holes to hold the bolts. I then clamped it in-place and did a simple raster to cut the bolts with the cutoff wheel.

See the cut here:

I was able to cut them very easy at 30IPM. Im sure I can double that.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Nice but a hack saw and a belt grinder would be quicker. ������

On the other hand is a guy had a set of tapped blocks set up and ready to go this would be a nice solution. It would also be interesting to see if this is applicable to cutting bar stock or materials of thicker cross section.

Now I have one question for you. After you found the top of the bolts you indicated that you moved down the required depth and then reserved again. Why would you do that? It just seems strange to me.

Yes, a hacksaw will cut quicker but its real hard to use a hand saw to cut off a bolt without mucking up the end of the threads. Since the CNC does a perfect cross cut. The bolts are ready to be used without any cleanup. Something I cannot saw about using a hacksaw.

I wanted to remove .1875 from each bolt. I zeroed the cutter at the top of the bolt, then moved the Z-axis down .1875 and set that as my reference point. My Gcode is set to cut at .00001. This could have been done in Gcode but I did not want to change it. Now anytime I want to cut off bolts, I just slap in my little fixture and I can cut off any length of bolt I need.

FYI
    Here is my mill making the fixture.
    KRmc01 Mill Cam - YouTube
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com