585,748 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Z-Axis Binding or Something Else?

Z-Axis Binding or Something Else?

This is something new that just started happening recently. A job will be running along just fine, then during a Z-up motion, the head stops moving and the machine lets out a loud "Eerrrkkk!" The Z-DRO in Mach continues to increment, but the head is not moving up. At this point, the machine is hopelessly confused as to its true Z-position. Re-referencing the Z-axis does NOT correct the problem. The only way out is to shut down and restart everything.

My first thought was that the Z-axis was binding. Maybe it's time to readjust the gib, says I.

The odd behavior of Mach, though, makes me think it's something else. Could it be a software glitch, an electrical fault, or ???

It doesn't happen often or consistently. Usually I can run all day with nary a problem. When it happens, though, it's a pain.

Just curious as to whether anyone has seen anything similar or has an idea what could be the cause.

Sorry - posted to wrong thread - forum won't let me delete.
    Terry

Not sure I see any odd behavior of Mach3 in your description. The "Eerrrkkk" sounds very much like losing steps and strongly suggests that the Z axis is binding. I would adjust the gib as per the manual instructions or possibly slacken it off a bit and do a test to see if it still binds.

Phil

In my case, putting a small fan on the z-axis stepper amp in the cabinet fixed the issue. If you touch the amp when the problem starts, you may find it is running very hot

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

dk,
    With the Z gib, as you may already know, if the screw at the bottom of the Z gib is not tight. the gib may slide down and jam when the head is moving up. Perhaps that might be your problem. But I think it would happen almost every time Z moves up quickly.
    Follow the instructions in the User Manual; they work.
    Good luck,
    Bevin