585,759 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Deep Draw Information/HELP

Deep Draw Information/HELP

Hello All,

I have a project that has come across my desk in my shop a couple of times. We deal in specialty plastics, but have been challenged to come up with a solution to work in conjunction with a new plastic part being designed. Here is a basic idea of what we need to do. Imagine one of the Big Foster's beer cans. We need to come up with a method for deep drawing a part that is about half as tall as the beer can, approximately the same diameter, and it won't require a top. We'll reinforce the top edge somehow. They would like for us to do this in house and we aren't sure where to start. I'm looking at trying to learn as much as I can about deep drawing parts, and I'm asking for good websites, books, etc. where I can learn about the process. We would most likely build our own press. The finished wall thickness wouldn't be much thicker than a beer can, so I'm hopeful we wouldn't have to design and build a massive press.

I've been thrown in the deep end and need to figure something out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Some aluminum drink cans a deep drawn and some are impact extruded.

Here's a link to the drawn type, but be aware that they are done with more than one operation. How aluminum beverage can is made - material, production process, manufacture, making, used, composition, structure, product, industry, machine, Raw Materials

And here's You-tube video of the operation. How It's Made Aluminum Cans (Sam's Club Choice) - YouTube

Jeff,

I sent you a PM that might be able to help you. There is a lot more to deep draw than buying a press and starting from the ground up having never done it. Below are a few videos from our facility in Ohio.

Here is the blanking operation which is the start of an oxygen cylinder.

Thanks,
    Nick

Jeff,

Here is the following 3 operations that get the cylinder to the final shape and size.

Quote Originally Posted by initialimage View Post
    Hello All,

I have a project that has come across my desk in my shop a couple of times. We deal in specialty plastics, but have been challenged to come up with a solution to work in conjunction with a new plastic part being designed. Here is a basic idea of what we need to do. Imagine one of the Big Foster's beer cans. We need to come up with a method for deep drawing a part that is about half as tall as the beer can, approximately the same diameter, and it won't require a top. We'll reinforce the top edge somehow. They would like for us to do this in house and we aren't sure where to start. I'm looking at trying to learn as much as I can about deep drawing parts, and I'm asking for good websites, books, etc. where I can learn about the process. We would most likely build our own press. The finished wall thickness wouldn't be much thicker than a beer can, so I'm hopeful we wouldn't have to design and build a massive press.

I've been thrown in the deep end and need to figure something out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Look into vacuum forming.