584,850 active members*
4,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: New CNC from China Need to hook up 220v wire and plug, to plug in.

The black and white are the two legs of 120 from the 220v circuit.
    The ground is connected to the cabinet.
    I plugged it in and flipped the breaker and nothing happened, but I still want to have a licensed industrial electrician look it over before I go hitting any power buttons.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 220v.jpg   ground.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by neowalla View Post

The black and white are the two legs of 120 from the 220v circuit.
    The ground is connected to the cabinet.
    I plugged it in and flipped the breaker and nothing happened, but I still want to have a licensed industrial electrician look it over before I go hitting any power buttons.

Cover the white wire with black or Red tape or shrink tubing just at each end and that part will be fine the Grounding is not and will have to be reworked
    Mactec54

First remove the white wire from any Hot 240 volt line feeding the machine. White should never be used for Hot or live wiring. Use the Red wire for the other side of the 240 volt line. In other words Black on one hot and Red on the other hot. Green or bare should go to the equipment ground in the machine and the ground buss in the power or service panel.

If you did not have the Red wire you could mark the White with either Red or Black tape or paint at both ends, and be legal here in the US, not sure about Canada.

To me it looks correct or will be when you change the wire colors. Wether or not you turn the power on is up to you but your supplier told you it was ok??
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Yes my supplier said it was correct but I have someone coming out to look at it just so I am sure. I made the change from white to red as you suggested. The cable I bought from Lowes had black, red and white lines. I'm always thinking in 120v terms so I used black and white and left the red unused. I switched it leaving white unused now. So as long as one leg goes to L1 and the other goes to N, there is 220v between them correct? Now I need to figure out the grounds. I wish I could find a book on CNC electrical/electronics.

The European and Chinese power 220 volt is unusual for us in the US. Both their wires are needed to complete the 220 actually its 240 volt input. The old European plugs never used to be polarized, the new ones are and they also have the 3nd pin for Ground, Equipment ground or Earthing. If you using the green US ground you need to scrape or grind down to bare metal when attaching to the machine.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Attachment 421756Having a hard time finding someone to come out and take a look. Industrial electricians are pretty busy in Windsor it seems. If I can attach a PDF I'll post the wiring diagram I got from OmniCNC. As it stands I have it wired as in the above photo but switched the white going to "N" to the red wire so black is going to L1 and red to N. Ground from the plug is going to the chassis.

I wish I could find a book on CNC electrical/electronics.
    The reference you are looking for is NFPA79, Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery.
    You might be lucky to find one on the web, there was a slightly older version in PDF out there.
    For machinery cabinet enclosure work I prefer to use stranded conductors throughout, TEW/MTW/TR64 etc, or something close if you use sheathed cable.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Attachment 421756Having a hard time finding someone to come out and take a look. Industrial electricians are pretty busy in Windsor it seems. If I can attach a PDF I'll post the wiring diagram I got from OmniCNC. As it stands I have it wired as in the above photo but switched the white going to "N" to the red wire so black is going to L1 and red to N. Ground from the plug is going to the chassis.
    Your basic wiring is correct now but not safe as the Grounding is very poorly done all your drives you will see a place for a ground wire to be mounted, the VFD Drive and servo/stepper Drives need a Ground wire to the Chassis Ground point, this you could do yourself
    Mactec54

I have added a ground bus and connected every ground point I see in the cabinet. I'm not sure about the stepper motors, or the RichAuto controller though. The stepper motors all run to the Yako controllers which are mounted in the cabinet. I don't see a ground terminal on them. The RichAuto box has a ground connection near the bottom at the 24v input section. It connects to the Omron S8FS power supply. The connection was labeled at the factory "GND". I connected the "earth" terminal next to that one to my ground bus.

ericks Guest

I am not sure what your color codes are but if it was me i would use the spare core, put green heat shrink both ends and use it for your earth conductor in place of that very thin conductor you used but you must change the color both ends over the full exposed length

The wire I used to run the grounds is green. 14AWG stranded.

ericks Guest

The wire I used to run the grounds is green. 14AWG stranded.
    I am referring to your main supply cable to the machine...

The mains are on 12AWG solid. Black to "L1" and red to "N". White is not used but I did not cut it short. I just wrapped it around to keep as a spare. The ground from the plug goes to the lug attached to the chassis. This is connected in turn to the ground bus.

ericks Guest

The mains are on 12AWG solid. Black to "L1" and red to "N". White is not used but I did not cut it short. I just wrapped it around to keep as a spare. The ground from the plug goes to the lug attached to the chassis. This is connected in turn to the ground bus.
    I can see in the pictures what you did...i suggested you cover both ends of the white with green heat shrink and rather use it as your earth than that tiny rubbish conductor they call an earth. I won't go into the technical details why i say so. Just remember the earth conductor is your most important conductor. Having it the same thickness as your phase conductor is good

I'm sorry I don't understand. I'm not using the white conductor from the mains plug. The only white in the pictures is on the factory wiring, and that is labeling. The grounds I ran inside the cabinet are all green wire. The crimp-on connectors are blue for that gauge wire, but I don't know what white you are saying to cover with green heat shrink tubing.

ericks Guest

I'm sorry I don't understand. I'm not using the white conductor from the mains plug. The only white in the pictures is on the factory wiring, and that is labeling. The grounds I ran inside the cabinet are all green wire. The crimp-on connectors are blue for that gauge wire, but I don't know what white you are saying to cover with green heat shrink tubing.
    Okay, don't worry about it....forget i said anything

Ok I think I got what you mean. I re-wired the plug using the spare white as the ground and connected the other end to the chassis instead of the thinner ground wire that comes with the cable. I used green shrink tubing on both ends.
    I fired it up and nothing blew up or caught on fire, and I'm still alive to type about it. I ran the pump and spun up the spindle as well. Luckily my wife is Chinese and she helped me set the language to English on the pendant

Ok I think I got what you mean. I re-wired the plug using the spare white as the ground and connected the other end to the chassis instead of the thinner ground wire that comes with the cable. I used green shrink tubing on both ends.
    I fired it up and nothing blew up or caught on fire, and I'm still alive to type about it. I ran the pump and spun up the spindle as well. Luckily my wife is Chinese and she helped me set the language to English on the pendant
    OK you almost have it correct, what you have used for the Ground Bus is incorrect you have used an isolated terminal Block, this need to be a solid metal Bus mounted to that plate

And ( 1 ) Ground wire from the Bus to the Machine Chassis, no looping of a solid coper wire Just use the same stranded wire you used for the rest

That's quite bad what you have done with the Isolated Terminal Block
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    OK you almost have it correct, what you have used for the Ground Bus is incorrect you have used an isolated terminal Block, this need to be a solid metal Bus mounted to that plate

And ( 1 ) Ground wire from the Bus to the Machine Chassis, no looping of a solid coper wire Just use the same stranded wire you used for the rest

That's quite bad what you have done with the Isolated Terminal Block

Why is it bad??

ericks Guest

I just took this pic when i walked past on of our robot control panels....it's full drives etc $1000 000 + machine

I do mine the same....this is not house wiring mate

What you said about the loops i agree with

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails earthing1.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 123