584,826 active members*
5,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 8 wire unipolar into 4 connector bi-polar

8 wire unipolar into 4 connector bi-polar

It's probably been discussed many times, but, I have three 23-200-DS8 200oz unipolar motors (3vDC 3 amp hobbycnc motors from 6 years ago), that I want to hook up to a bi-polar driver board (GenY32 board). The old diagram had Bb com aA

How do I wire 8 wires uniploar into four wire bi-polar? A A+ B B+. I wrote Dave at hobbycnc and he replied there isn't a phase coil configuration diagram available.

Just a quick edit. Doing some reading and I've figured out the ends of each phase and have grouped the wires appropriately so that there's two wire per bundle, representing the beginning and ending of the phase. Now I have 4 wires (grouped as two each_. Can I now wire these 4 wire bundles to the A+A- B+B- terminals?

Quote Originally Posted by tercero View Post
    It's probably been discussed many times, but, I have three 23-200-DS8 200oz unipolar motors (3vDC 3 amp hobbycnc motors from 6 years ago), that I want to hook up to a bi-polar driver board (GenY32 board). The old diagram had Bb com aA

How do I wire 8 wires uniploar into four wire bi-polar? A A+ B B+. I wrote Dave at hobbycnc and he replied there isn't a phase coil configuration diagram available.

Just a quick edit. Doing some reading and I've figured out the ends of each phase and have grouped the wires appropriately so that there's two wire per bundle, representing the beginning and ending of the phase. Now I have 4 wires (grouped as two each_. Can I now wire these 4 wire bundles to the A+A- B+B- terminals?
    Tercero,

Only connect one axis for testing, after confirming correct operation turn off power and connect remaining motors.

Blue & Green to A+

Red & Yellow to A-

White & Brown to B+

Orange & Black to B-

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for the quick reply. Not to be argumentative, but are you positive on that wiring? I ask because when doing a continuity test I get Orange/White, Green/Yellow, Black/Brown, Red/Blue, so wouldn't the pairings of each form the beginning and end of each coil as in Orange/White would be A+, etc, etc? I'm a tad confused and don't want to kill a new board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	206328
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com

So I want to wire this in series to gain the most torque?

as Jeff mentioned try one motor first and see how it runs with your machine,
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com

Fastest way to find out

And not to seem ungrateful, so thanks a million. I appreciate the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by tercero View Post
    So I want to wire this in series to gain the most torque?

Tercero,

Bi-Polar parallel is the prefered method the majority of us implement, the wiring I suggested reflects this choice.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

OK, I'll give it a try and again I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

I'll post some pictures of my cnc (in the proper forum).

Thanks,

T

Just for future reference, this web page may be helpful:
    Stepper Motor Connection Options
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Just for future reference, this web page may be helpful:
    Stepper Motor Connection Options

Bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks.

Re: 8 wire unipolar into 4 connector bi-polar

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Tercero,

Only connect one axis for testing, after confirming correct operation turn off power and connect remaining motors.

Blue & Green to A+

Red & Yellow to A-

White & Brown to B+

Orange & Black to B-

Jeff...
    Hi Jeff, tried your connections and it did not work. I used a scope to ring out the wires and here is how the motors are actually configured for Gecko's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4b7p5JcGM

I was really surprised at the lack of information on these motors. I guess Dave did not sell too many and it was before he started documenting things on line. I am just happy that I can use the motors, when I hooked them up with your configuration they did not move at all. Now, its off to the shop to install in my DIY router!
    Too many toys, too little time...