586,000 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-2 crash----replaced mocon board but not sure it's fixed.

VF-2 crash----replaced mocon board but not sure it's fixed.

My 14 year old V-2 -Z- axis crashed last week for no reason. I was running a program with
    the same tools and same program I had run for weeks, no changes. After it crashed, I looked
    to make sure the correct tool and offset was in the register. It was fine but I didn't look at
    the distance to go register.
    Anyway, I called the repair tech. and he said it was either the encoder, the motor control
    board or processor. I replaced the processor in that machine 2 years ago.
    He checked the encoder, said it checked out o.k and said that more than likely it's the
    motor control board. He replaced it but he wasn't too keen on watching me press cycle
    start and running at 100% rapid in -Z-

I did it a couple of times and it worked but I'm really not confident that it's fixed 100%
    and I now run every tool with optional stop engaged. I rapid in -z- at 25%.

It's killing my production time.
    What would you do? It cost me $1,900 to put in a part that may or may not have fixed it.
    I appreciate any helpful feedback you may have on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_S View Post
    My 14 year old V-2 -Z- axis crashed last week for no reason. I was running a program with
    the same tools and same program I had run for weeks, no changes. After it crashed, I looked
    to make sure the correct tool and offset was in the register. It was fine but I didn't look at
    the distance to go register.
    Anyway, I called the repair tech. and he said it was either the encoder, the motor control
    board or processor. I replaced the processor in that machine 2 years ago.
    He checked the encoder, said it checked out o.k and said that more than likely it's the
    motor control board. He replaced it but he wasn't too keen on watching me press cycle
    start and running at 100% rapid in -Z-

I did it a couple of times and it worked but I'm really not confident that it's fixed 100%
    and I now run every tool with optional stop engaged. I rapid in -z- at 25%.

It's killing my production time.
    What would you do? It cost me $1,900 to put in a part that may or may not have fixed it.
    I appreciate any helpful feedback you may have on the subject.
    Unfortunately you are stuck waiting to see if it is fixed or not.
    Just based on the info you provided, it is hard to tell what the issue is; to many unknowns for me.
    Sometimes dealers will let you run a part for a short while, especially with pcb's, to make sure the problem is fixed. If not, they will take it back out and not charge you for the part as long as the HFO tech is doing all of the work. Not all dealers do this though.

UPDATE: The Mocon board did not fix the problem. They reloaded all software etc. and the problem is still there.
    I see what the problem is however. Here is what I found.
    T3 H03 (H03 offset is -10.053
    T3 is cutting a c'bore Z-0.358
    It cuts the the c'bore at z-0.358 for a couple of minutes and all of a sudden alarms out (Alarm 163)
    I look at the G54 Z register and it has all of a sudden changed the value from -.358 to -10.411
    It suddenly added my H03 offset value again while it was interpolating the c'bore surface.
    There was no line of code that could have changed this value.
    It did it 3 times in a row.