id like to make a 1/8" end mill holder, BT30 style. im not expecting anyone to hold my hand and tell me everything to do, but i would hope i could get some advice so as to not reinvent the wheel and make extra work for myself.

i have access to a hardinge hlv-h super precision lathe at work, it has lots of 5C collets, and a 3 jaw zero set chuck.

i am fairly experienced on a mill, but i almost never use the lathe for anything but very basic diameter reductions and drilling.

could someone suggest generally how this sort of thing goes?

i would imagine:

-chuck stock
-make it so i can use a tailstock to support stock on tail end (center drill stock? i dont even know what operation "preps" it properly for tailstock)
-rough stock to size (what bit is more appropriate for roughing, carbide with large radius?)
-finish passes

is this generally about being able to precisely adjust and confirm the tool holder angle (looks like the harding has a graduated scale to allow this)

will i run into any gotchas as far as working myself into a corner (not literally) that i cant get out of and will need to start over, or lose zero, etc..

the lathe does threading, but does it make more sense to tap the hole for the pull stud? does the pilot bore do all the precision centering of the pull stud or am i going to have to figure out how to "precisely" tap on center (is that an oxymoron?)

thanks for any help

oh and then finally..what kind of steel should i use, and how and when do i case harden it?

the goal of doing this is to get some reasonable experience on the hardinge before it goes by by...i realize 1/8" holders can be had for $50

heres a pic of the toolholder id like to make

vClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BT30-.125-1.75-End-Mill-Tool-Holder-Made-in-USA-1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	206414