584,829 active members*
4,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feed rates and speed of spindle etc

I'm using Solidcam and ncstudio to cut into 6061 aluminium.
    I've told Solidcam that it's a 6mm 3 flute end mill and that it's cutting aluminium.

When I transfer to ncstudio and I do a test run it's attempting to cut at 100mm/min with a spindle speed of 1000 rev/min. The depth of cut is 3mm. As I said this has all been set up be Solidcam. Does that sound right?

Mostyn « Custom Motorcycles Mostyn
    Cafe Racer and Custom Bike Builds

Yes, in terms of those are SolidCAM's default values for speed & feed but those values are not right for cutting 6061. You are supposed to set up the tool data according to the recommendations of the people who made the cutter (or according to your own experience). You don't say whether your cutter is carbide or HSS and that is crucial to determining the spindle speed. For carbide, the surface speed (V) should be about 300 m/min which for a Ø6 cutter works out to about 16,000 rpm (n). Put a tip load (fz) of 0.06 mm/rev and you get 2240 mm/min feed rate (Vf).

The axial depth of cut (ap) depends on how much radial engagement (ae) the cutter has with the workpiece. For a cut taking the full width of the cutter (in this case an ae of 6), a depth of cut of 3mm sounds about right. If you were taking a side cut of 0.5mm for finishing, then an ap of 6mm would be fine.

Brakeman Bob
    You give good answers.
    DW

Yes very good answer. Thank you very much. I am using a hss at the moment. I understand g-wizard is great for working these calculations out but as I plan on using the same cutter and the same material for most of my jobs I'm hoping I won't need to recalculate too often lol

Www.mostynindustries.com.au

It's a pleasure. Good luck with making parts. What café racers have you got on at the moment? I have an ex-Italian Army Moto Guzzi Neuvo Falcone (500 single and a plodder) that sometime I'd like to (a) make faster and (b) make prettier. The latter shouldn't be too hard but the former, well, it will never set the world on fire like a Gold Star or a Velo.

We are building a cb550 at the moment as well as 2 SR500's. One of my bikes is an xs1100 shaft drive that I'm making into a spoked wheeled bike. The guzzi's are great. Even yours. There is a group of builders up a mountain about 100km's away that only work on them and produce amazing machines.

For myself I have been making rearsets manually but now want to get into cnc top bridges etc too.

Www.mostynindustries.com.au