584,866 active members*
5,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > tool offset question

tool offset question

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a setting for this but is there a setting to make the tool follow the toolpath but out a certain distance? In otherwords, if you have a circle being cut that is 4 inches diameter and I want the tool to cut 1/8 inch outward, is that the finish allowance or would I just increase the tool diameter setting to compensate?

Thanks!

Warren
    LetterCAM CNC Software
    http://www.LetterCAM.com

G40 G41 and G42 all deal with cutter compensation.

http://prl.stanford.edu/documents/pdf/cuttrcmp.pdf

Nice page that explains.. I just went thru this over the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenW
    Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a setting for this but is there a setting to make the tool follow the toolpath but out a certain distance? In otherwords, if you have a circle being cut that is 4 inches diameter and I want the tool to cut 1/8 inch outward, is that the finish allowance or would I just increase the tool diameter setting to compensate?

Thanks!

Warren
    Yes, using .125 as the finish allowance will leave .125 all the way around the
    circle. This is the correct way to do it.
    GlenBA
    www.lathedweller.com

So whatever is set in the finish allowance is added to the edge of the toolpath? So your saying with it set as .125 Sheetcam will move the tool outward by .125 of the circle?

Thanks!
    LetterCAM CNC Software
    http://www.LetterCAM.com

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenW
    So whatever is set in the finish allowance is added to the edge of the toolpath? So your saying with it set as .125 Sheetcam will move the tool outward by .125 of the circle?

Thanks!
    That's correct. For instance, if you choose Contour Method "Outside Offset", then a Finish Allowance of .125, Sheetcam will use the tool diameter to offset the toolpath so there will be .125 material left around whatever object you chose to contour. The parameter is usually used to leave material when roughing, then you can set it to 0. for your finish tool and a spring pass.

BTW You can join the Yahoo SheetCam web group, it's very informative, and you can ask the developer of the software questions directly. I tried to put in the URL, but for some reason the posting software keeps munging the path.
    GlenBA
    www.lathedweller.com

Just a small correction. Finish allowance is the amount it offsets the toolpath by. This means that it will add that much to the radius of your circle. You need to use use 0.0625 for the finish allowance which will increase the dimater by 0.125.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by locost_cam
    Just a small correction. Finish allowance is the amount it offsets the toolpath by. This means that it will add that much to the radius of your circle. You need to use use 0.0625 for the finish allowance which will increase the dimater by 0.125.

Les
    True, but the poster said "I want the tool to cut 1/8 inch outward", so .125 would move the tool .125 outward or away from the contour.
    GlenBA
    www.lathedweller.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlenBA
    True, but the poster said "I want the tool to cut 1/8 inch outward", so .125 would move the tool .125 outward or away from the contour.
    Oops, sorry about that. I must remember to put my brain in gear before typing

Les