584,850 active members*
4,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: touch off

touch off

my small machine won't touch off properly, I have tested the touch off several times and it continues to fail, just tries to shove the touch plate though the table. I have tried it with and without a ground cable on the tool, ground seems the only reasonable explanation, except if that is the case it shouldn't pass the test. any ideas?

On the diagnostics screen under setup you can see the status of the lead. On my machine it is in the home area. I think it is just a lead that connects to P4 on the controller card that is activated when grounded by the tool. At least you should be able to work with the diagnostics screen to check wiring etc and not actually do the touch off. I always intended to replace that stranded wire with some test lead wire. I don't remember if there are optoisolators in sockets for all the connections but if your wiring is good maybe you can get lucky and replace the optoisolator for that port or maybe if you are really lucky there are two for that port and you can swap them. Maybe Techno can give you a point in the right direction on that.

turned out to be the ground cable between the power box and table, I didn't catch it at first as I had the ohs scale on my meter set too high, when I set it to the bottom scale it showed an open circuit. hooked up a new cable and its working again.

Thanks RandK

Good work finding that! Are you talking about the 120vac cable that plugs into the controller box? My table does not have a separate earth ground.

my tables are ancient, 21+ and 16+ years, the controller, amplifier box and table are all separate pieces, the critical ground for the touch off is between the amp box and the table. the intermittent nature of the problem and the setting on my meter were just masking the problem