585,715 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > EDM Discussion General Topics > Charmilles Robofil 310 wire breakage problems

Charmilles Robofil 310 wire breakage problems

Hello everyone,
    As the title indicates we have an old Charmilles Robofil 310 wire machine. We have been having troubles with wire breakage during the annealing process of the wire cut function. We just went through the upper and lower heads replacing contacts, cutters and cables and adjusting the few things that can be adjusted but it doesn't seem to have made a bit of difference. We are using Stammcut XI wire and we have used a few other non-Charmilles wires in an attempt to save a few bucks and I suspect these cheaper wires are part of the problem. Can I hear a few opinions about this or suggestions about where else to look for the culprit? Years ago we used Charmilles SW25X and didn't have many issues but I haven't operated this machine for nearly a decade and now I'm not sure if it's just the age of the machine or a wire problem. Thanks, Chris.

Hey Chris,

Take a look at the wirebrake.In the middle is a brass shaft and on it are 2 graphit contacts.Unscrew the 2 black caps to change the graphit contacts and clean the brass shaft.Is in the upper head a unit to spool the wire at the annealing process?
    Be sure there is not much clearance at the wirebrake(axial).Is the wirebrake belt ok?
    Stay with Stamm wire or other quality products.

There are some numbers you can check on the generator page while the machine is doing the anneal.wire cut operation. You will need to call charmilles to get the information needed. This will help eliminate any electrical or voltage problems.

make sure that both the upper and lower contact wetting waters are flowing.
    also i would remove both upper and lower injection chambers and service them.
    while the chambers are removed switch contact on/off and check for proper water.
    do this also with the threading jet. ensure all orifices in upper head are clear.
    check distributor block, cutting block, rethread block and contact block for proper
    water and air flow thru the blocks.
    my guess is that you are missing contact wetting water.

good luck,
    mdynac
    Registered Linux User #348337
    EMC2 Rocks!!!!