584,829 active members*
5,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VH-65 + Servo controller model 1 (indexer) box

VH-65 + Servo controller model 1 (indexer) box

I'm a Fadal newb (learning quickly though) as I just got a 4020 (1993, cnc88, 1400-4 processor).

The machine came with a vh-65 rotary table, but the machine does not have an amplifier card or axis control card for the 4th axis. The 4th did come with an external indexer control which you program with G-code right on the control box.

This indexer system must have been available for only 1 or 2 years? because I can't find hardly anything about it out there - even only found 1 picture of the same system.

It is my understanding that the indexer box can be setup to recieve a signal from the CNC88 control, it will then execute it's next line of code and index the table, then the indexer box will return a signal to the cnc88 saying that it is finished where by the cnc88 will resume the program.

There is a 4 pin jack, and a 25 pin (looks like 3 used pins only tho) serial connector on the back of the 'Servo Controller Model 1' box.

Anyone know how to set this baby up!? Anyone have a manual for it?

Thanks!

additionally, I run my programs over xmodem DNC, so if the indexer needs the serial to communicate, I'm S.O.L.?

There is actually a cable wired in the control cabinet already. It wasn't obvious on first sight because the connector is sticking out of a rubber grommet and it looks hard mounted to the case. It isn't though the connector was just stored there in the grommet which is just used to protect the cable from the sheet metal feed through's sharp edges.

I'll have a chance to try out the table using M20 M45 tonight or tomorrow. The M20 code tells the CNC88 to send out an 'index' signal, M45 executes the M20. The CNC88 should then wait until the indexer box sends back a signal before continuing the program.

The fadal manuals mention wiring up an indexer in this style to PCB's 0006 or 0007, but in my case, the setup is wired to two pins on TB1 and two pins on TB3 right on the 1060 motherboard. Anyone know that this is correct? Was the 0006 pcb just a 'breakout' board with a header on it?

It appears to be wired up right, assuming that this is the old config used by the previous owner of my machine. I bought the machine from a machine tool dealer, so I don't have the previous owners contact info (probably could get it if a serious problem arises though).

Any thoughts / experience getting an indexer to behave with your CAM software? It seems that I will want to have two separate g-code files posted. One is the regular code, but with the M20 M45 codes where I want an index to occur, then the second file will be uploaded to the 'servo controller model 1' via it's serial port. The indexer code should be like:

G0 A90 M0
    G0 A180 M0
    G0 A270 M0

and so on. It might be easy just to program G91 G0 A90 M0 and do it incremental? That being said, what If I want to index to strange angles? I'll want my post to do this for me.

I'll be able to get it to do what I want, but if someone knows how to do it in the most automated way possible, that'd be helpful advice.

some more info on this indexer:

I have a 1050-3A card in slot 16, which is an 'extra M function' card, but only for 2 functions, one of which is a read from an external device function - this card is specifically for indexers. So, as per the fadal electrical manuals, the M20 wires leave TB-1 pins 7 and 13 and go to the indexer box. These two wires get hooked up to the 'start' pins on the back of the indexer. There are two 'finish' pins on the back of the indexer too. Those get hooked up to TB-3 pins 1 and 2 - the fadal book calls these 'reset condition' pins. This is the way it was hooked up when I got the machine, so all with that is well.

Additionally I can get the indexer to take an M20 signal from the cnc88, it will then index, and it sends it's 'finish' signal back to the cnc88 - which simply shorts pins 1 and 2 on TB3 to make it known that the index movement is over. The machine will then resume it's program, but I still have a problem.

I can get this all to behave just fine in MDI mode, and in Auto mode (programs stored in the internal memory). That's cool, but I run all of my programs over DNCX. The trouble is, that even though the indexer works great in MDI and auto modes, it does not work right when running DNC/DNCX. The indexer will index when given M20, but then the machine just sits there after the index and will not resume.

Something interesting about M20 is that if in MDI mode, I program M20, but do not have the indexer box setup to run it's program, the indexer box will not return a 'finished' signal and the CNC88 locks up. It locks up good too - you have to hit the E-Stop to get it out of it's waiting period (hitting the Manual button doesn't do the trick).

What's interesting is that when running programs over DNC, the control doesn't hang like that. It is as though it recieved it's 'finished' signal, and then it just sits there like it needs some other code to resume or something. There are no messages, no 'waiting...' flashing, and no error signals. Pressing cycle start doesn't resume it either. As far as I can tell, M20 for indexers doesn't work with DNC. Maybe there's some other code to use? The manual talks about needing to use M45 when running fixed cycles (e.g. peck drill, rigid tap, etc.). This is ture. I rigid tapped a part tonight while using the indexer in auto mode, and you do need an M45 to keep it going during a fixed cycle. M45 does not help when running DNC, it all still hangs out after the index is over.

The indexer for sure works. I saw the 'finish' signal show up when in diagnostic / show switches mode, and I ran it and made a part tonight, but in Auto mode via the internal memory rather than DNC.

Surely someone's run into this once before. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

(bump) ... I could use some help on this one.

Re: VH-65 + Servo controller model 1 (indexer) box

Older thread I know but did you ever figure this out?