585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

V24 Tool Library

I hate to bring up an old topic but I have read as much of the discussions on tool libraries and cribs as I can find and I have not really found a clear prescription for the problem I'm experiencing.

I realize V24 starts out with an empty tool library and the posts I've read seem to indicate that I should be able to build a library that I can use in the future. But if I add tools to the library via Milling Tools > Tools or the Tool Library button inside a feature dialog, close and re-open Bobcad all the tools are gone. I created a .bbcd file called Template, added tools to the library, closed and re-opened that file and all the tools are gone. If I add some features to the cam tree, add some tools to the library, close and re-open the file, the tools that are used by those features are still there but the rest are gone.

I've been experimenting with Al's preferred method of save/load feature and I like it but it seems like I have to re-number the tools for every part based on the order they're included in the cam tree.

Is that what I have to live with in V24 or is there a way to get my tools to hang around?

Thanks,

Ben

I always went through the Tool Library button inside a feature to add a new tool, since that's when I always realized I'd be using something that wasn't there yet. Never had any problems with tools disappearing, as far as I can remember. First guess is that maybe there's a directory mismatch going on, and BobCAD isn't seeing the file where it expects to the next time it starts.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I haven't intentionally moved anything around but...

Here is the file path for ToolFile.mtools which I believe is for the tool library: C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V24\MillingTechnology\Tools\Mill

BobCAD24.exe is under Program Files on the C:\ drive. Does anybody know if this is right?

It saves fine for me (I use V24) if I do it through the tool path wizard as described here using 2d profile as an example (works the same no matter which strategy I use):

Right click on Milling Stock and select Mill 2 Axis.
    Click Next in the window that pops up since Profile is already selected.
    Select profile as normal and click on Next.
    Set rapid plane, etc. and click Next.
    Set up rotary moves or arcs, etc. then click Next.

(Now for the tool part, which is all that really matters here)

Click on Tool Library.
    Select which category you want (Rough, Finish, etc.)
    Click on Add.
    Enter tool parameters including name (Not sure if the name part matters, but I always use it and have not had problems) then click OK.
    Highlight the tool and click OK.
    Finish up the rest of the tool path wizard and click Finish.

At this point, even if I close the program without saving the file, the tool is still in the library right where I left it. Let me know if you go through this process and still have problems. I've even been able to add tool permanently without even having geometry to select for a feature. With an empty drawing, I just right click on any strategy, click next until I get to the tool portion of the feature, then add the tool as I've described and close Bobcad. It will still be there the next time I open it.

Here's a quick video showing the process and the results in V24:

http://youtu.be/pM2JifOT2hA

As Luke points out, I don't usually notice I don't have a specific tool until I'm creating the toolpath, so this is really the only way I ever have added tools. It's worked 100% of the time, so if you're still having trouble it must be something in how your system is set up. If so, I'm sure we'll be able to help you figure it out.

Just tested adding a tool by right clicking on Milling Tools and selecting Tools. This brings up the same window where you can click Add to make a new tool entry. I then click OK and close Bobcad, after which the tool is still there when I open it again. I never do it that way normally, but it also seems to work fine for me.

Yes that's the method I use. Feature wizard, Tool Library, Add.

The directories you list are identical to mine, and we all appear to be using the same method for saving tools... Are you running BobCAD as Administrator? If the permissions on the target directories aren't set for you, that might allow you to write to them.

Luke

I would also check to see if the file is "Read Only". I'm not running as an administrator and have not had any problems. I'm also using Windows 7 64 bit, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Yeah, Admin will only help if the folder permissions are borked. They shouldn't be, but it happens sometimes.

Luke

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm reading these correctly but it looks like maybe it is the folder permissions that are causing the problem. The "Allow" box for Modify and Write are unchecked for Users. I'll have to get someone from IT to look at it. I'll let you know what I find out.

At the very end of the day I got an IT guy over to set me up as an admin and it's working now. Thanks for the insight guys.