585,781 active members*
4,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: dxf import

dxf import

I sent my company logo to have some decals made. I requested the dxf file which I have and I would like to use the logo in machining projects.

I've done some searching on how to view a dxf file in mill V9 but I'm not having much luck. I used autodesk to get the dxf in but it looks terrible. What am I doing wrong? Or can someone help convert this file to a readable format for mill V9?

Sorry for what must be a reoccurring question... My searches haven't turned up what I need. I've included it here for anyone interested in having a look, and what it is supposed to look like (without the grey background).

edit: When I go to converters I don't have a "dxf" option which is why i used autodesk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ronin_logo 1.jpg  

Don't remember in V9. But I think you can just open from file menu. dxf is autocad format. Should open just like a .dwg.

Yes that is what I get thanks Tony. This importing vector files is new to me. How do I clean it up to look the same as the jpeg for engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin26 View Post
    Yes that is what I get thanks Tony. This importing vector files is new to me. How do I clean it up to look the same as the jpeg for engraving?
    This DXF file is actually an engraving toolpath, unless you have data to make the tool ie vee "d-bit", angle, tip diameter etc------ that file is totally useless.

I imagine the DXF file you want is :-
    - lines & arcs representing the outline of all the white text in your logo

so you can play around to get the ideal tool-path method that suits you & your business

That makes sense. Yes I need lines and arcs. I've tried using the jpeg, and converting with rastor to vector but looks like it would take hours filing in individual pixels to detect the edges.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll just engrave letters and no logo which I have been doing just thought if I had the vector file I could make it much nicer than standard lettering.

LOGO

TRY THIS ONE. LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.

TRY THIS ONE. LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.
    Thanks Tony!!! How did you do that so I don't have to bug this forum in the future?

X5 Art. Raster to Vector. I used the .jpg you had posted.

X5 Art. Raster to Vector. I used the .jpg you had posted.
    Ah. You are much more skilled than I am (obviously). Thanks again Tony. I'll play around with it a bit until it cuts how I want. Would you mind deleting your attachment now as it is my company logo?

Thanks Tony, this forum is a great help. I've been lurking for years...

Edit: i can't edit my original post to delete the attachments. I'm guessing the window to do this is limited?

It is within your account. You should see your posts with the attachments select and delete.

man this site hates me! I can find my attachments in my account under miscellaneous but not a box to select and delete....