585,987 active members*
4,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question thermal arc Pak 5 XT 460 to 220 change

I've been able to pick up an old thermal arc pak 5xt with a bunch of consumables but it was wired for 460. manual says its capable of 220 but seems to indicate that it is either 220 or 230/460. there are the taps on the main contactor to remove the L2 3phase tap and I can change the transformer lug board connections but was thinking I'm missing something.
    if there is someone on this board who has seen this please chime in.

from what I can see, I need to use the auxillary transformer plug that corresponds with the 230 volt operation, and disconnect the L2 tap on the main contactor board but the rest is a bit convoluted.

the manual and schematics are here
    http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Upl...619_0-2274.pdf

There were two versions of the 5xr machine....a single phase that you can switch taps on from 200 to 240 volts, and a 3 phase that would work (again by switching taps) on 230 volt 3 phase or 480 volt 3 phase. You have the 3 phase version.....and it can be switched to 230 volt 3 phase by following the steps in the manual that you linked. This unit cannot be switched to operate on single phase power. To do this you would need the main single phase transformer, you would need to rewire the diode bridge for single phase, and you would likely need to change the output inductors. Those units have been out of production for over 25 years (maybe closer to 30) and I'm sure parts are not available.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by stacheframework View Post
    I've been able to pick up an old thermal arc pak 5xt with a bunch of consumables but it was wired for 460. manual says its capable of 220 but seems to indicate that it is either 220 or 230/460. there are the taps on the main contactor to remove the L2 3phase tap and I can change the transformer lug board connections but was thinking I'm missing something.
    if there is someone on this board who has seen this please chime in.

from what I can see, I need to use the auxillary transformer plug that corresponds with the 230 volt operation, and disconnect the L2 tap on the main contactor board but the rest is a bit convoluted.

the manual and schematics are here
    http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Upl...619_0-2274.pdf

Thanks Jim. after looking through the manual and parts list it looks like a number of differences are apparent. was thinking about a phase converter but after looking over the threads here and elsewhere, it seems inefficient and cost prohibitive. looks like ill try to sell this one and find something more suitable.
    btw, you seem to pop up a lot with tons of helpful information for the plasma group and I would like to thank you. I know you're partial to Hypertherm and for good reason but you seem to help anyone in need regardless of brand.