585,729 active members*
4,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC cutting table conversion to 3d printing

I can't imagine that this hasn't been discussed here, but can't find the relevant thread, so here goes: Given that a plasma/router table can be made fairly inexpensively (a relative term, of course) If you got a decent Z axis going, say 8 inches or so, why couldn't one print a car body in ABS in 8 inch slices and alignment pegs? A smallish sports car such as the Miata would require a 6' x 14' bed, but if you cut that into 4ths, a 4' x 8' would do it with room to spare. The feed rate would be snail-like by CNC cutting standards, but the upside of that is that there wouldn't be the inaccuracies that you can get with an inexpensive machine running at high speeds. Of course the final surface would lack the smoothness of a stamped metal skin, but a "bondo" like surfacing compound could make short work of that.

What does the brain trust have to say about this? Prototype bodys are generally made either with huge multi-axis milling machines working on a foam block, hydroforming, skill-intensive metal forming or such. 3D printing such a large item would take ages, but a hobbyist with a few months to spare.......

Good evening kreb,

I know that Bentley is using 3D Printers to make full scale models of their cars and other vehicle manufacturer's are doing the same. They are made in pieces and bonded or welded together to make larger parts. NASA uses 3D Printers also.

Have a terrific evening!
    Robert
    3D Accuracy
    3D ACCURACY

There is a tutorial on just that on the Vectric website under Aspire that shows slicing

Quote Originally Posted by kreb View Post
    I can't imagine that this hasn't been discussed here, but can't find the relevant thread, so here goes: Given that a plasma/router table can be made fairly inexpensively (a relative term, of course) If you got a decent Z axis going, say 8 inches or so, why couldn't one print a car body in ABS in 8 inch slices and alignment pegs? A smallish sports car such as the Miata would require a 6' x 14' bed, but if you cut that into 4ths, a 4' x 8' would do it with room to spare. The feed rate would be snail-like by CNC cutting standards, but the upside of that is that there wouldn't be the inaccuracies that you can get with an inexpensive machine running at high speeds. Of course the final surface would lack the smoothness of a stamped metal skin, but a "bondo" like surfacing compound could make short work of that.

What does the brain trust have to say about this? Prototype bodys are generally made either with huge multi-axis milling machines working on a foam block, hydroforming, skill-intensive metal forming or such. 3D printing such a large item would take ages, but a hobbyist with a few months to spare.......
    Hear is a printer i built build area is 17" x 14" x 14"I used to be a prototype technician for a large Pro audio company

That is 1 hell of a printer, Dick. I like the turn buckle adjustments on your bracing. Ditch the Kapton tape for Elmer's the results are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    That is 1 hell of a printer, Dick. I like the turn buckle adjustments on your bracing. Ditch the Kapton tape for Elmer's the results are incredible.
    Thank you the turnbuckles were a eBay find $7.50 apiece. The Kapton was also a eBay find and its real 3m it is 16 inches wide got two rolls works unbelievably well even on large prints has to be totally cooled off the pop the piece off. I float it on the glass in one piece with soapy water no seems

Like installing window tinting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Like installing window tinting.
    Yes