585,996 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 6 456
    Georgie Guest

Re: Rong Fu RF30 Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    An RF25 doesn't have a Z axis drive screw. It uses a rack and pinion to drive the quill. I have seen people power the quill using the fine feed and reverse the quill return spring so its constantly pushed down against the drive mechanism to take up some backlash. I have also seen some body completely remove the pinion drive, and drill press handles. Then they removed the exisiting quill nose clamp and replaced it with one driven by a ball screw mount on the front of the mill in place of the depth indicator mechanism. While considerably more work I think I would prefer the latter method if I ever CNCed my RF30 (similar mill/drill).

Yer mileage may vary.
    Hi Bob,

You don't recall the thread on the Quill conversion to Ballscrew do you?
    I'd be interested in this method.

George

Chuck,

I followed this post with delight as I'm attempting to do the same conversion myself.

What brand are the 7291 angular contact bearings that you used ???

I have been unable to find them and it's impeding my build.

Oh Boy, that was over 2 years ago. I believe I just picked them up on Ebay. As I recall, they are 17mm ID. Don't know what brand they were...

I have identified NSK 7903 angular contact bearings with a 17mm ID and a 30MM OD thereby allowing me to mount original handles and their associated furniture as I am taking the flashcut round of mounting timing gears on the recess where the scale rings where.

The NSK catalogue gives a number of options "Single, Back to Back, Face to Face, Tandem". As I want to use the original bearing mounts from my RF30 (meaning they will be separated by a divider in the housing) my next issue is what is the correct pairs of bearings to use and what their separation should be.

Can anyone advise ????

Quote Originally Posted by twobobbwana View Post
    I have identified NSK 7903 angular contact bearings with a 17mm ID and a 30MM OD thereby allowing me to mount original handles and their associated furniture as I am taking the flashcut round of mounting timing gears on the recess where the scale rings where.

The NSK catalogue gives a number of options "Single, Back to Back, Face to Face, Tandem". As I want to use the original bearing mounts from my RF30 (meaning they will be separated by a divider in the housing) my next issue is what is the correct pairs of bearings to use and what their separation should be.

Can anyone advise ????
    I would think back to back would be the best option. However, I don't have a clue what the separation should be. Wonder if they need any separation at all????

hello,

maybe you have drawings for aluminium box section for the X and Y Axis?
    Maybe can i get draving from you?

Page 6 of 6 456