585,754 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 3D toolpath strategy advice !!

3D toolpath strategy advice !!

Hi all…

Would really appreciate some opinion and thoughts from some “season” 3D toolpath veteran !

I “manage” sufficiently in 2d / 2.5d toolpath…..but 3D !!....not at all, since I never been “challenge” to do some!
    I’ve been trying to get a “descent” toopath strategy with this simple 3D fan ( see image) but, would like to improve my approached with it….and future 3d needs !
    Been going through some 3D tutorials and other sources……but noting really beets a “season veteran” advice.
    Not asking one to do it, but kindly looking for some guidance with witch approach (toolpath) this 3d one should be done ?

Attachment 208032

Thks in advance….Robert

Lets start with what version of MC are you using?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Have access to 6 &/or 7 !

Robert,
    That does not need a 3D surface strategy

Each "fan blade" can be done as a 3D contour with a ballnose on centreline, lead ins / outs turned OFF
    - the actual "real" contour you need is what goes thru the centre of the actual ballnose
    - a rough contour would be a 3D line along the valley of the groove. It would still end up very close ( because of the small angle )

I suggest plunge in at the deepest end first then ramp to the shallow end.

Superman as always....to the rescue :-)
    Sound like a good approach....except, in this particular file, I do not have a 3d center line ?...it's imported from a DWG and for some reason, I can't "grip" to some lines allowing me to add one !?

BUT.....by using the surface rough pocket then fallowed W/ surface finish blend with a step over (15%)....it look ....ok !?
    still "playing" with this and some other alternatives !!
    But ( another but !) ,,,,I still would like to here some other alternatives....as I'm certain MC can offer me ( for this case and further ones) various ones ?? ( maybe art ?)

Using a centerline to drive the tool will only work if the radius is the same from end to end. To my eye, it looks like the radius varies from one end to the other (basically conical), in which case it will need to be done via 3d toolpath. What strategies do you have available?

Your eye sight is still good !!
    That's correct, looking at only one fan blade, It's just like a ½ cone with the small end at close to 0 Z down by a smooth progressive slop to -0.25".
    For strategies...that's my point to be here....I'm short of knowledge in 3d....What i tested ( see my above post) is a first and the test result is....fine !
    Still would like to here from some about other possible strategies !?
    Later

Jay....
    Any advice on this and.....maybe also some advice on witch book I should look in to in order to improve my self on 3D?

I would either do what superman says and use a 3d line for each spoke. If I wanted a continuous cut I would use a surface radial toolpath.

Ben

Now if you do what superman stated then do it one and transform to the rest to cut down on the work.
    As for books on this you will not find this info in regards to this shape help in a book. but if you are looking for books on Surfaces 3d then the in-house Solutions books will give you the basics. Located here- Featured products.
    Remember there other options like "Tips for Training" training disks , Mastercam U, Eapprentice.net and one on online training per say with me or others.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Ben....Thks for this additional though ! Tried it....best i can say ( in short) is it's not applicable for this one !
    Maybe me, but the output ( in verify) did not show a satisfactory path !

Jay...May you be a little more clear ( from / for one who lack experience / understanding this 3d knowledge ) when you suggest " then do it one and transform to the rest" ...you lost me there ??
    Books or others....
    I'm not looking as per say info on how for this particular shape....but on 3d! In MY OPINION, The in house books are ok for following "blindly" steps by steps, and I say this as I feel it always missing in depth explanation on why this and why not others or alternate ones.....in order to understand "more" the fundamentals of MCX, so it become 2n nature when one has to make a "new type'' toolpath !

on another note....do you offer programming time to do some toolpath....as I'm often missing time and a "on call" 2n hand is an option I'm more & more considering.....till I can justify a part time programmer !?!