585,676 active members*
3,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Frequency Converter Price

This is related to my other thread (Using USA 110V Equipment on Euro 220V Mains!) but Im gonna keep it simple and specific this time.

How much will a frequency converter cost to convert 50Hz up to 60Hz? And where can I buy one. (Less than $500 would be good...?)

You would need something built on the same principal as a VFD, These you can use with single phase in, but I don't know what the effect would be to use just two of the output phases.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Sorry Al, but could you explain what you mean by "single phase in...use just two of the output phases". Is the phase determined by the mains or by the frequency converter? (Im not so good at the electronics/electrical stuff) I would want to plug my 220v > 110v transformer into the mains, then plug my frequency converter into that, then my equipment into the freq conv. (Or freq conv into mains, transformer into freq conv, whichever works) Thanks for all the advice in the other threads aswell.

I don't know wether they are as popular over there, but here VFD's (variable frequency drives) are not only used to control motor speed, but to produce 3 phase from single phase, they are principally designed to to convert 3 phase frequency, but due to the fact it is imposible to get three phase in a residential home in N.Amer, the VFD's are popular for running 3phase equipment out of your home, using 1 phase in.
    In UK and Ireland it may be easier because of the 3 phase distribution to feed residential areas, (one phase & neutral) as opposed to N.Amer. which is single phase 240 with centre tap for 120.
    What I meant was you need something constructed along the same lines as a VFD with single phase in and use only two of the three phases, but of course, you would need 120 which AFAIK may be hard to obtain.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al. I'll look into that aswell.

If anyones curious I've since managed to get an online quote for a freq converter from http://www.georator.com built to my specifications. $8105.
    http://www.valuetronics.com also do an AC power source that can input 220V 50Hz and output 60Hz 0-150VAC for $450.