Initial point for those who want it short and sweet
I have an older (1996) CNC that only supports HPGL. The software I am using is Vectric Aspire. The CNC has issues cutting the hpgl that Aspire is outputting. Some things overlap or cut within the same space without moving to the next space. It's probably not Aspire's fault but I want to make sure before I delve into things like retrofitting or other serious steps.

Is there any software that is specialized in outputting HPGL or one that people prefer to use? Something simple and easy is much preferred but I can make do with any recommendations you post. Free would again be preferred but I would also welcome paid programs as long as it's results are satisfactory.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Expanded on for those who are still with me up to this point (Thanks by the way!)
I am experimenting with the word "Multicam" about 1' long total. It I use a 1D single line font, it cuts great, but if I use the typical 2D fonts with two sides || it cuts out the M then starts the letter U, drives about a foot off the board then back up and continues. No rhyme nor reason for this. I have tried MANY complicated renditions of the letter M and it always works. Italic, Fancy, many lined |||| and they ALL work flawless but when it comes to the next letter (U) it goes haywire. Thanks again!