585,665 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Another Spindle Load Monitoring Question

Another Spindle Load Monitoring Question

I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

This is for an Okuma MA400HA mill with OSP-E100M OS.

We are having issues with operators running parts more than once resulting in oversized bores. During the CNC Process we have a mill path that is farily long and non interrupted where I could check spindle load. Typically during this toolpath the spindle averages 15% load. So, if possible, I want to put a check in the middle of this path that would alarm out if the load is less than 10% (such as a dry run or running a part that has already been machined).

Any ideas?

just a second. what is a question about? Issue with operators - human resources business. running parts more than once? It's like a pizza - more run is better? setting alarms related o load limits?

you can't monitor load on a finish cut no matter what. the pressure of the cutting does not vary *that* much and if you set it too close to real cutting loads then you will have an alarm when there is no trouble (such as at the end of a cut where the tool feeds away from the part so the cut pressure is less).

It appears you have a CNC operation issue. If a cut has to be re-run to obtain a size you *MUST* back-off the offset a small amount, take a cut, measure, adjust offset, re-run.
    Very very basic stuff. If your operators can't handle that or are screwing you over by wasting time re-running the same part multiple times (you have not clarified exactly why they are re-running parts multiple times) you need to train them or give them a pink slip ;-)

For an actual solution you can use User Task to check for the dry-run switch being on or possibly use a WHILE to check that some condition remains true and alarm out with a custom alarm if not.
    Neither of those things will help if the operator is smarter than you because they will just change the program. even if you protect the program it is very easy to make a copy of the entire program and save it as a new program, edit it and use that program to run the part.

If they are screwing you the solution is really simple. You should pay your people more $$$. Money does wonders for dedication and discipline ;-)

You are looking for no-load monitor.
    It was optional, but not sure if it was on the E control or not.
    Operators make mistakes.
    This or a probe with a simple check of height or size would do the trick.
    Simple load monitor doesn't allow what you're after.

Re: Another Spindle Load Monitoring Question

Quote Originally Posted by tea hole View Post
    You are looking for no-load monitor
    hy teahole, please forgive me, i don't wanna be seen as speaking in cotradiction, so please consider that i would take you to a wild bunny hunt anytime

is not LM2, because "We are having issues with operators running parts more than once resulting in oversized bores" has a big chance to be an operation with really low tolerance, thus cutting it again may put the part out of tolerances

such stuff is hard to be felt by the cnc, because the tool cuts nothing ... pls check latest posts in here : http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...tor-stuff.html

i did not replied for mr bjhall06, but for you, because you are a sharp guy all the best

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    you can't monitor load on a finish cut no matter what
    you can check spindle effort before and during cutting, thus knowing the load that the cutting forces create

if this load is little, and this would be a mass production issue, you may increase the material volume that the finish tool cuts ... just a bit more effort

if rough and finish operations are done with different tools, and is desired for finish tool to cut only 0.10 .. 0.15, to make this stable is required a tool senzor that measures tool diameter ... otherwise, on less equiped cncs, such stuff requires more often controling parts dimensions before the finish operation, and so on ... not to say the case when a finish tool was just changed, part dimensions before finishing are ok, and still the tool will trash your part

on single parts this is an issue when machining duration is big, and finish tool should cut a specific cutting depth, otherwise faster wear may occur, and :
    ... maybe is a chance that the part will be accepted with a low discontinuously on the finish surface
    ... if material is hard, and discontinuously surfaces are not allowed, ...

i hit the last case when doing molds for pills ( pharmaceutical industry )

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    Neither of those things will help ... discipline ;-)
    that's the spirit thinking out off the box + technical background
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: Another Spindle Load Monitoring Question

Quote Originally Posted by bjhall06 View Post
    Typically during this toolpath the spindle averages 15% load. So, if possible, I want to put a check in the middle of this path that would alarm out if the load is less than 10%
    hy bjhall it is possible to verify that whatever axis load value is within a desired range, among a specific section of a toolpath

pls consider this example : is posible to verify at least 2 different loads ( for Z axis ) among G1 G91 Z100 : 23-25% between Z10-Z20 and 45-60% between Z50-Z70

but do you really need such a tool ? i would recomand you alternative codes, that would avoid running same part twice; as a result, you should not need a detection tool for the 2nd run, because a 2nd run would not occure

hope i am not late @ the party kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg