585,888 active members*
4,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > 3 holes to drill, I'm looking for a simple and free cad program

3 holes to drill, I'm looking for a simple and free cad program

I'm finally getting to use my miniCNC machine, I have three holes to drill on a panel(s). I havnt used the machine in a year and I forgot which CAD software I used. I know I downloaded way too many and would like to keep from repeating the process again.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which CAD software to use for a simple and free software for my small 3 hole drill project. The software needs to output G code.

Thanks
    Nick

Pencil Cad is pretty good for doing 3 holes. (I think there's an upgrade to Keyboard Cad).

J/k,

You might find something here at CNCzone, or perhaps http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cadcam.htm#cadcamsystems
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Check out Simple CNC

Simple CNC is only $35.00 and you get free upgrades. Check it out @

http://www.datawise.net/~jorenr/cnc/..._home_page.htm

Fillout a form and "Make G-Code" Really easy for anyone to use. It is not a CAD program. Vertually no learning curve.

Lightbulb

Try the Machinery's Handbook under Jig Boring.

That is always a good reference that at least someone has to have.

tobyaxis :cheers:

why a cad program?

here is a scan of my black book:
    please find it attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolthole circle.jpg  
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

I have been making some generic G Code generators to machine simple designs. Attached is an Excel file that will generate code to drill based on a list of X,Y coordinates. You may want to try it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Simple CNC Programming

Simple CNC can now be found at:
    www.simplecnc.com

070924-1456 EST USA

Learn to write your own G-code.

You need a fundamental understanding of your machine. It is always important to know the basics of any system. Then later when it makes sense to use a program to generate your G-code you will be in a better position to troubleshoot problems.

G-Code by hand or with software?

I certainly appreciate the position of learning to write your own g code programs.
    There are different people out there with different wants, needs and aspirations. Some may like to learn a programming language to make parts on their CNC machine and others might want to use software to make parts. The great think is there are options out there for everyone.

070924-1925 EST USA

Jeff:

What I am suggesting is that one start learning from a low level rather than trying to jump in at some high level point. I am not arguing that you do or do not use CAM. However, in some simple or production problems CAM may not be the best solution. Even in some complex applications you might use CAM for part of the job and wrap some hand generated G-code around the CAM code. But you need to know G-code to do this.

An example: Put someone in a differential equations course with only basic arithmetic skills. Maybe you can teach them to follow some rules and solve some problems, but that person will lack the background to understand what they are doing to attack any general problem. A basic understanding of differential and integral calculus can be very enlightening relative to many problems.

Without a good background in basics in any field you are at a great disadvantage in solving many problems.

In another thread somewhere an individual was trying to use ohms law or a power equation to prove there was no advantage in high voltage distribution of power. By a lack of background and understanding of basic electrical circuit theory he came to an incorrect conclusion.

I am not against CAM but in this case I think Nick should start and directly write the G-code.

If there is a canned cycle for drilling in his machine then it is quite possible that something like this might work:

G81 is a canned drill cycle, and M97 is a local subroutine call.

O0230

Start up stuff

Tool 1 change stuff for starter drill
    G81 Z-0.05 R 0.1 L0
    M97 P1000

Tool 2 change stuff for drill
    G81 Z-0.75 R 0.1 L0
    M97 P1000

Tool 3 for reamer
    G81 Z-0.75 R 0.1 L0
    M97 P1000

Tool 4 for chamfer drill
    G81 Z-0.15 R0.1 L0
    M97 P1000

M00 Z 4.0

M30

Other parameters are most likely needed but this is a sufficient outline.

N1000 (subroutine of the three points)
    X 1. Y1.
    X 2. Y 2.5
    X 0. Y 4.0
    M99

If I wanted 10 holes then I only need to put their locations in the one subroutine. Or if a hole position needs changing it is only one position.

If there are other similar applications, then this basic program with modification can be used.

Maybe some other stuff is required depending upon job requirements.

I do my tool changes with a G65 and parameters. It is simple and you can easily read what is being done without a lot of clutter.

simple g code understanding is a necessity ,
    it would be stupid and dangerous to press cycle start on a setup that a guy doesn t understand what the code is doing ,its like letting a blind person drive
    i personally don t see how it could be difficult to create a g code prog to drill three simple holes , software takes more time than i can to code it in ,but i had to learn how to do that , g code doesn t come naturally it needs to be understood to make it work properly
    bottom line is anyone that doesn t understand it should learn it before they destroy their machine or seriously hurt themselves

if software is what you need , you can download mach 3 for free and the wizzards will produce g code just the same as simple cnc

Free CAD/CAM

I absolutyely agree that understanding g-code is a must.
    But I would also like to suggest GSIMPLE (I am the author) which is a completely free CAD/CAM for 3 axis mills (suitable for most simple tasks) and can be downloaded at http://www.gsimple.eu. GSimple is very easy to learn and use. On the web site there are some examples. The first one is making a simple drill. Making three or ten drills is almost as easy.

I also believe that a simple CAM like Gsimple can help people get familiar with gcode programming. You can see a ready made code (gsimple produces a readable code with comments and test it by running it on the screen (no tool crashes!). Gsimple will also let you edit the code (or rewriting it completely if you like) and then test it on the screen.