585,766 active members*
4,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC15 Table problems - y axis has mind of it's own!

Fadal VMC15 Table problems - y axis has mind of it's own!

Hi,

Our Fadal has developed a fault after being transported. Not sure if its related to the move or not. The y-axis either searches about a bit, only detectable with a DTI or it lurches about sometimes inches at a time. I suspect maybe crap on the lineals or something (the glass interference measurement things? sorry dont know the English for it). Has anyone seen this before?

Cheers
    Mark

Problem solved, kinda. Posting here should anyone else get the same issue. We stripped the machine table down around the y-axis (this was a pain btw, imperial bolts....). Besides being a bit overdue for a clean out, we cleaned it all up re-greased everything and put it back together. It behaved a bit better but we cannot use it at full feeds without it freaking out.

We spoke with some Fadal parts suppliers and they suggested possibly the y-axis motor is on it's way out, after looking it seems the coolant pipe had a pinhole leak aimed right at the motor. God knows how the moisture got in. We stripped the motor as much as we dared - The 1000$ price tag of a new motor is quite motivating by the way... dried it out, fixed the leak and the next day the machine seems to be back to its old self. I was surprised to hear that the encoder thing was on the motor and not the table, I'm no machine guru and have only seen the gubbins of a few machines, but every one had a way compensate the table/saddle with regard from where it is to where it should be. How they do this from the motor I have no idea... No complaints though, this Fadal is 20 years old and still really accurate still. I love this machine.