585,902 active members*
4,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Cadet Mate with OSP700M

Cadet Mate with OSP700M

Hello
    This is first post. I have an oppurtunity to get a 1997 Cadet Mate with OSP700M control. I have a couple questions

How reliable are these machines? Are they still supported?

Is the OSP700 easy to program at the control?

Right now machine as couple issue's.

Door interlock has been fiddled with and keeps causing alarm so has to be reset each time. Present owner put a switch in to reset. I would like to either eliminate it or at least be able to run with door open for proofing.

Also get an alarm for "Z" axis lube timed out.

Thanks
    Rob

Hi Rob;

I own a '98 and they are still supported but Okuma is not always an easy company to figure out. On my Macturn they quoted 14-16 week delivery on a memory upgrade and it's newer than my Cadet-Mate; to me that is a "PFO". If your OPS700 is like mine, it will have a small memory buffer and that limits what you can do on it. The price of the upgrade was not worth it for me. The OPS700 has been a very reliable control for me. Most of the problems I have had are in the air system and the tool changer. The machine is pretty simple and easy to maintain though. I'm sure it will be different all over the world but I have been underwhelmed by the support I've gotten from Okuma over the years.

Overall, it has been a good machine to me. I took the pin for my door switch off my door and I pull/push it every time I boot the control. It lets me work with the door open.

I have never seen a Z axis alarm but I would guess that it is a pressure switch in the lube system. The way the system works, a very small pump runs on a timer and charges up lube injectors (they are small brass manifolds and you should see little pins extend when the pump comes on). When the timer turns the pump off the injectors discharge oil to each lube point. There will be a pressure sensor near the pump possibly integrated to the lube tank. My Macturn had a problem and I couldn't get at the switch so I tee'd in an engine oil pressure switch and a gauge in so I could get a signal and see what it was doing. Worked great since.

Kev

Mr. Kev described in details. I will warn you. The lubrication pressure alarm could be caused because of weared guideway system. The guideways could be heavy weared if the machine was not leveled.

This is incorrect on my system. The lube injectors force pressure to build at the pump, not resistance in the path to the ways. The timer has to be on long enough for all pins I mentioned to all pop out. They go back in when lube is sent to their injection point. Without the lube injectors, oil would all go to the lube point of least resistance. I can't imagine a machine not having them but crazier things have happened.

I also put in a pressure gauge so I could see what was happening at the pump.

Thanks for the replies, turns out guy sold the machine before I called back. Probably we'll worth the money but enough little issues that I just wasn't sure I wanted to take a chance.
    Went today and looked at another one that was newer and in very good shape but we couldn't agree on price.

1 more question does OKUMA have program to program at a desktop?

Thanks again
    Rob

does OKUMA have program to program at a desktop?
    more specific, please. Why do you care what Okuma have?

Now that I'm reading what I wrote it doesn't make sense.

What I meant was does Okuma have software available to do programming at a PC then send it to control.From what I understand these controls don't have much memory/storage. I know it has a disk reader. So do you program in notebook or something like that or is it special OKUMA software?

Thanks

Okuma is not something wierd. As any other machinetool is designed for use. It's up to you if you will create job programs using OSP or you use CAM on your PC and transfer the part program to OSP.
    Still not sure if I understood the question right.