584,802 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > stock definitions (again!)

stock definitions (again!)

I'm having the same trouble as many others in regards to mcam9 and stock definition. I need to be able to import a shape from a previously machined operation to cut the 2nd and 3rd ops. Seems like the talk of STL files was promising but lacking in detail. Does anyone do this often enough to explain to me, or better yet walk me through it?
    Thanks a million,
    $h@wN

Program and verify the first op. When it finishes verify, click "save as stl file".

Program and go to verify on the second op. Before running it, go to "configure". On top left, select "file" from Stock/Shape. Once selected, the "stock file" dialog will become enabled. Use it to browse to where you saved the stl file. Click OK and verify it.

That's the hard way.

The easier way is to program the entire part in one file, and verify the entire thing at once. This will require the proper use of the WCS and/or Tool and Construction Planes in order to verify across multiple sides of the part, but it works much better, as you don't have to worry about the infamous waterfall effect of some stl files. (There is a tutorial available on the WCS if you want to go that route.)

HTH.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thank you so much! I've been programming in mcam since v4 and have never needed to go that route. just created a new drawing for 2nd and 3rd ops. Damn, I've got some catching up to do, new job is forcing me to learn all the stuff I've been avoiding, I cannot tell you all what a valuable resource this site is. thanks again.....and again.
    $h@wN

Quote Originally Posted by shawncnelson
    thank you so much! I've been programming in mcam since v4 and have never needed to go that route. just created a new drawing for 2nd and 3rd ops. Damn, I've got some catching up to do, new job is forcing me to learn all the stuff I've been avoiding, I cannot tell you all what a valuable resource this site is. thanks again.....and again.
    $h@wN
    LoL! you're entirely welcome! :cheers:

You should be able to import the toolpaths and their geometry to a single file from the Ops Manager by right clicking and selecting Import From Library.

Hint: you can import .MC9 files as well as the standard OP9 files. The OP9 files are just Mastercam files with a different extension, so changing 'file type' in the file dialog to *.* you'll be able to load ops from any .MC9 file. This works better than 'file/merge" if you want to bring toolpaths.

To go a step further, you can use "import" from Job Setup to import Job Setup values, WCS Views, Tools and Operations selectively.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)