585,676 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Bought a 770, call electrician to get a new outlet and shocked?
Page 1 of 3 123

Bought a 770, call electrician to get a new outlet and shocked?

So I bought the PCNC 770 and it's on the way here and today I call one of the Electrician here in Phoenix AZ (George Brazil) and got a quote to get the following outlet install. *(220v is for my 3-1 lathe machine just in case I need it later)

I need to have a one 30A(30A wire, 20A outlet) 110v and one 20A 220v outlet install to my garage. My power panel is on the opposite side of the garage, so it need to be conduit up, into the garage attic and straight across about 35fts and drop back down.

I called George Brazil today and get the quote from them.... they want 2190.00 (not including tax)

When I saw the number I was shocked, but I want to know if this is even reasonable? does not seem very reasonable to me. He said it will take him 10 hours to do it and with a license and bonded this is how much they will charge.

Obviously I would like to have someone license do it so it will be insure by my insurance... but 2200.00? Is that right?

Any recommendation toward any other company?

I would do it myself. If you don't feel confident and need to have some one else do it (insurance or otherwise) I would call at least 2 other electricians in the area and get a competitive quote. Must be lots of them in the Phoenix AZ area phone book?
    Good luck with the 770, I have one too.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

A quote from at least one more electrician seems to be in order. Check with neighbors and see if anyone has a good one to recommend. You might also see if your insurance agent has any recommendations. You might ask for a breakdown between labor and parts while you are at it.

Mike

Yeah that's too steep. I wired 220 and 110 to my PCNC1100 in the garage from a panel outdoors. Conduit is cheap. A 2 pole breaker is cheap. A GFCI breaker is a little more expensive, but it was all done for about $100 in parts and 6 hours of time. You are going to spend more on wire and conduit.

It depends on the circumstances - attic clearance, type of wall, are you asking for a sub-panel, etc. But I wouldn't expect it to take 1 person more than 1 day to complete. Maybe something like $500-$1500 range.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
    Yeah that's too steep. I wired 220 and 110 to my PCNC1100 in the garage from a panel outdoors. Conduit is cheap. A 2 pole breaker is cheap. A GFCI breaker is a little more expensive, but it was all done for about $100 in parts and 6 hours of time. You are going to spend more on wire and conduit.

It depends on the circumstances - attic clearance, type of wall, are you asking for a sub-panel, etc. But I wouldn't expect it to take 1 person more than 1 day to complete. Maybe something like $500-$1500 range.
    No sub panel or anything special, just outlet. I think this guy quote me like I am stupid, does electrician think machinist are dumb or something? He did ask a few question on what we machine and make and sell.. ect. BS, I think he's quoting me base on what we do. Cost 40.00 for the quote too.

I didn't think it would be this complicated, I thought it was more in the range of 400-600.00 max 1000.00 for the two outlet. Now I don't want to call anyone else to get a quote, I am sure all of them would charge just for the quote.

Install the conduit and everything else yourself. Then just have him pull and connect the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
    No sub panel or anything special, just outlet. I think this guy quote me like I am stupid, does electrician think machinist are dumb or something? He did ask a few question on what we machine and make and sell.. ect. BS, I think he's quoting me base on what we do. Cost 40.00 for the quote too.

I didn't think it would be this complicated, I thought it was more in the range of 400-600.00 max 1000.00 for the two outlet. Now I don't want to call anyone else to get a quote, I am sure all of them would charge just for the quote.
    wtf. I have never been charged for a quote.

To do what you want to do, I'd say you're looking at MAYBE 3 hours, and $300.00. That's if you have to go to Home Depot or Lowes to buy the material to do it. A sub panel is easy to install, and to run a conduit over the top of your garage and down the other side to a 110 volt plug is a piece of cake.

You can probably buy a "how to" book at either place and do it yourself. Even if it takes you all day on Saturday. $2,190. is an absolute ripoff. Electricians of any of the other trades people must think J.Q. Public is stupid. They think because the have a screw driver and some wire cutters they think they can rip us off.

At $2,190.00 for a 10 hour job, even if you deduct $300.00 for material that's still $189.00 PER HOUR. Who the hell does that guy think he is?

If you don't want to do it, call a handyman and tell him you'll buy the material and give him $200.00 to do the job.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Sounds rather high to me. I just got a quote of $220 in the Seattle area for a similar job. Mine was to change several breakers to double in order to fit a 20amp 220 breaker in the main panel and add an outlet next to the panel. I haven't decided exactly where in the garage the CNC router is going live, but it's a lot simpler to move the outlet than to muck around inside the panel

I don't know where you are located, but in my state the homeowner is allowed to do electrical work, given the house isnt being sold in the near future.
    I'd recommend reading around some to find out how to do it. It is a good skill to have. I had an idea it was hard to do, and family/friends thought that there was a 90% chance of getting shocked to death, but I managed to tap into my house panel, and run a 60 amp subpanel to, and fully wire a shed with not much trouble.
    I wouldn't get someone unqualified to do it for you, do it yourself so you know it's done right!

I had 100amp service installed from the house into my garage for sure more than 30ft, installation with the new subpanel was approx. $1500.00.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Do you really need conduit? Shielded cable should be more than adequate. It isn't that hard to DIY. Do a few hours research online and you will be good to go.

Check with your electrical authority and get the job inspected. It is good for peace of mind. Also if you ever have a fire, no matter how it starts, if the wiring wasn't inspected, you can be sure that the insurance will blame it on that and try to weasel out of paying.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Do you really need conduit? Shielded cable should be more than adequate. It isn't that hard to DIY. Do a few hours research online and you will be good to go.

Check with your electrical authority and get the job inspected. It is good for peace of mind. Also if you ever have a fire, no matter how it starts, if the wiring wasn't inspected, you can be sure that the insurance will blame it on that and try to weasel out of paying.

bob
    Indeed, most inspectors around here will gladly guide you through the process, as would anyone at the local electrical supply shop (which i'd generally recommend over the big box type stores, usually have better prices too)

Its not a difficult process, and by pulling a permit and having it inspected, you'll still have the confidence everything was properly done.

Believe it or not the guy at Home Depot was extremely helpful when I did my job. Someone will surely help you.

Dbl post

WAY too high a quote! Get at least 2 more and if they want to charge for a quote, move to the next in line.

You can even buy 1/2 inch flex with #12 (black, white and green) wire already in it. I bought 25 feet of it about 2 years ago for about a dollar per foot
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Went online and put a quote request to this website call Thumtack and a few local contractor came back with different quote. They range from 300-390.00. they were all license company.

So I had one of them came out yesterday and take a look. After a long talk and discussion I have decided to actually put up a Sub panel. Here's what I am getting.

1x Sub Panel in wall (60A 220volts) then split to 1x 20A 220volt outlet 3x 20A 110v outlet.

610.00 (5 hours job)

I feel this is very reasonable and have scheduled it this Sunday... can not wait, the darn Machine is already here that's what kill me. can't set up the machine until this get done..... I'm going to have to go buy a engine Hoist today and make a lifting plate.

Thanks all for confirming 2200.00 for two outlet is damn Stupid, I don't care how trust worthy or big a company is, but charging almost 5x more then it should is a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
    Thanks all for confirming 2200.00 for two outlet is damn Stupid, I don't care how trust worthy or big a company is, but charging almost 5x more then it should is a rip off.
    A way out-of-line quote usually tells me that the company is not interested in small jobs like mine, unless I really make it worth their while to do it by paying them a healthy profit. Nothing wrong with that, it just means you should try another contractor or vendor. I suspect that they were giving you a clue when they charged you $40 for the quote - so far as I know, charging for quotes is very uncommon.

When I got my Tormach a year ago, I was faced with a problem of adequate service in my garage. I had a professional licensed electrician run a 50 foot conduit from my 200 amp main panel to my garage where he installed a 100 amp subpanel, four 220 receptacles spaced 5 ft. apart, for 120 quad receptacles also spaced 5 ft apart, two sets of overhead florescent lights. The 220 lines were in pairs with a separate circuit breaker for each, as was done with the 120 lines. The florescent lights were on separate breakers and the PCNC 1000 has its own breaker as does my 14x40 lathe which is running off a 10 Hp rotary phase converter. All conduit and receptacles are surface mounted for ease of maintenance. Cost was $1,800.00. I have been so satisfied with his work that I will be contracting with him to upgrade the electrical service for my restaurant. Three years ago he upgraded my residential service from 100 amp to 200 amp, new panel, and some re-wiring on the inside of the residence and quite a lot of other work. My point is shop around for an independent, but licensed electrician, check his references, and you will be happy as well as saving a boat load of $$. Times are still tough for contractors and they will deal. We had to negotiate the price. Big contractors like George Brazil are going to cost you a bundle and will be tough to negotiate with. With an independent, you are speaking directly to the decision maker. Hope this was helpful and not to long.

Page 1 of 3 123