584,866 active members*
5,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Commercial Laser > G.Weike Laser > GW LC 1290 Laser Power Supply Not out puting power

Exclamation GW LC 1290 Laser Power Supply Not out puting power

Hi,

I have a an GWEIKE LC 1290 dual head laser. One tube is 60W and the other is 150W. I was running a job with the 150W tube on 100% power cutting acrylic when the laser suddenly stopped firing about half way through the job. The head continued to move and process the job but the laser wasn't firing. The Ammeter display on the front of the machine doesn't read any amps.

Now both power supplies don't have any lights on... There are three lights: green for the signal from the control board, yellow for the water supply and the safety switches, and red for the high voltage coming in.

So the control board will still send and receive jobs. The machine starts up and finds home, I can jog it around and everything works. I can send jobs and it will go around the lines as it should. I tested the signal going from the board to the power supply and it is getting a signal on both power supplies. Also there is 120V coming into each power supply. I then tested the signal coming from the water supply, that and it seems to be working, and I also moved the magnet around for the safety switch with no results. I went through the videos that GWEIKE has here: problem test-Video-Laser engraving machine|Laser cutting machine|CNC router-G.Weike Laser
    All the signals seem to be the same as they are showing. Except there is no lights on the power supply. The fans on the power supply aren't even working.

I thought there must be something wrong with the power supplies, although it doesn't seem likely that both power supplies would be damaged when only one was cutting. I ordered two new power supplies, a 60W and a 150W. I replaced both of them and it did not fix the problem. I also ordered a new control board thinking it was the last thing that could possibly cause any of this. It to did not fix the problem either.

The only thing I can think of is that the magnetic switch isn't working or the water supply switch is somehow not working. Or somehow a little wire rattled loose during the job. I looked around and didn't see any loose wires though, but I'm not an expert or an electrician. I have ordered another magnetic switch but i don't think that's the problem. I don't really know what to troubleshoot next. Any help or ideas would be great. Below are some images of my setup.

Attachment 209114
    Attachment 209116
    Attachment 209118
    Attachment 209120
    Attachment 209122

Bypass the flow switch by jumping it across, same with the door switch.

Those are usually the main culprits for lasers stopping firing instantly.

cheers

Dave

I tried jumping it across with no results. I have tested the power supplies with a plug from the wall at 120v and the fans turn on then you can press the test button and the lights turn on and all. When I put them back in the laser and leave them unplugged from the signal connections but connected to the power there is still no fan and no lights. Why would it not turn on if all its getting is power? The machine won't turn on unless both power supplies are hooked up either. I tried to only hook up one and then the whole machine won't turn on...

I also tried to jump the P (water protection also sometimes labeled as WP) and the G (ground) on the power supply units and then connected both the grounds on the power supply unit and still nothing.

Hi ,
    "I tried jumping it across with no results. I have tested the power supplies with a plug from the wall at 120v and the fans turn on then you can press the test button and the lights turn on and all. When I put them back in the laser and leave them unplugged from the signal connections but connected to the power there is still no fan and no lights."
    Did the wires from main power of machine to Laser power supply is open ?

Mary

The power supplies typically have power (light on) when the machine is plugged in to the wall and powered on. Weike more recently installs a circuit breaker, and we have had them fail.

Using your multimeter, set it to beeping mode (ohms). Unplug your laser machine from the wall and wait ten minutes. Check for continuity from the laser power supply to your outlet. If you are not an electrician, then get one or read up on this so you do not get hurt. One, safer method, is to unplug your powerstrip from the wall and check continuity from the power strip to the power supplies. Your goal is to show that there is not AC voltage reaching the power supplies, then work your way back into the machine to identify the location of the failure. If you were running a 150 watt job, and the power utilized by the machine exceeded a component or wire capability, you want to find the location of that burned wire/wire junction/breaker component.