585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC technician help

Does anyone know, what kind courses you need to become a CNC technician. I guess these are PLC and industrial electronics. But this need to be pin pointed, any specific course? What level?
    Thanks

All the local colleges offer courses in cnc programing. They also offerPLC programing which is different.
    If you want to build/fix cnc machines, I would suggest the Industrial maintenance course at Humber College This course will not only cover basic machine shop, but will introduce you to trubleshooting,repair of hydraulic,pneumatic and electrical systems. They use to offer an extension into PLC's at the end, don't know if they still do it that way.
    This course is a great stepping stone into Millwrighting.
    Hope it helps you....It sure helped me
    menomana

Quote Originally Posted by yanzeek
    Does anyone know, what kind courses you need to become a CNC technician. I guess these are PLC and industrial electronics. But this need to be pin pointed, any specific course? What level?
    Thanks
    You will need all the courses previously mentioned by trubleshtr plus a few years of industrial electronics experience. With this you might be able to get a CNC Technical position with a company that has some CNC machines. (Six years of Tech School and College engineering plus 5 or 6 years field experience for a start)

One thing most people do not realize is that a lot of companies think that an electrician is all that is required to work on anything that is electronic (including CNC) and they want to pay their employees accordingly. What they do not realize is that electrical fundamendals do not scratch the surface when it comes to being able to do board level troubleshooting. (By this I do not mean board swapping - anyone can swap boards if they have enough to replace everything in the machine)

Most of the problems with CNC repair will be intermittant problems. For example: A battery that retains computer memory intermittantly shorts and loses the program in the middle of a part and ruins it. Then, the machine will operate perfectly for a day or so.....then it happens again. Another is a leaky AC bypass capacitor that sometimes spikes and drives the CNC crazy. It takes considerable expertise to repair these problems especially when you are the last person called and are a factory service engineer. Also, a cot and sleeping bag may be part of your tool box along with 300 lbs of electronic equipment.

Worst problem is to have a piece of test equipment that is out of calibration or has developed a problem which does not show up, and one uses this equipment to try to find the problem. Good luck, and no thanks to the memories.

Jerry

Brush up on your wiring skills so you can trace and reconnect 1000 severed wires between the control & machine tool. It's more fun when the numbers are different on each end. Learn to tactfully inform forklift drivers not to run over conduit.

When half the CNC machines go down at once, and a shop helper asks you to replace his burnt out overhead bulb, fix the bulb first, otherwise he'll run to the VP and tell 'em you're goofing off again.

Quote Originally Posted by yanzeek
    Thanks
    At minimum get an AA in Electronics. This will give you the theory to build on. Community Colleges and Tech Schools are jumping in step wiith industry demands for this field.

Many OEM's are starving for Field Service Technicians. It is one of the best ways to learn on the job. You end up being a parts changer, but it does take experience to troubleshoot with what is at your immediate disposal. Hardly any of them do board level repairs(that they will admit to) due to company policy. It takes a lot of attention to details even those not directly visible. Come up with provable methods to back up a theory to the root cause. The knowledge level of the groups I have worked with was very broad. It must be hands on to absorb enough competency without creating further problems someone else will have to fix. It is not all electronics work. As has been mentioned. The mechanic's, hydraulics and pneumatics are equally important. The electronics tie it all together. In effect, you become a steel trap, picking up nearly useless information that you or someone else might need at the drop of a hat.

This career choice can include a lot of travel.....uhhhhhggggg. Some people love it and some grow to hate it.

After 35-50k air miles per year, hotels and rental cars. It can ruin vacation travel for years to come. Consider that part of it short term. The experience is something you can take with you anywhere.

A local gig is harder to come by as a trainee without an education in the fundamentals, but luck be with you.

DC

Thanks trubleshtr, I will check that course, I think I can skip the machining part and go direct to the core subject.
    Thanks CJL5585, usually even big company outsource machine troubleshooting, and electrical, mechanical and PLC knowledge package makes this profession unique. Not too many ppl are in this business as I've been told by a technician came to fix a machine in my company, I asked him about steps should be taken be a technician, he told me humber college would be a great start, he wanted his son to learn everything he does, but he is not interested. Its good to see someone young like me to learn these skills. Oh yeah, when I asked him if he can take me as trainee and teach me, his tone changed completely, and said sorry I can't afford to make a competitor, even though he is going to retire in next few years after working 40 years.
    Thanks Stealth, I have no problem 1000 wires, I like complex puzzles. That golden rule applies to every job on earth, satisfy your customer. I will fix the bulb first.

Thanks One of Many, I have checked a few jobs posted for CNC Technician by OEMs, they want experienced persons, yes they only do board swapping when it comes to the control, heck, they only replace whatever is malfunctioning.
    I think I would like traveling. If not, I would look for local companies looking for a technician comes once in while to do preventive maintenance.
    Thanks again to all of you guys replied, you are so nice

I forgot to mention another school for you to look at in T.O. is "RETS" they used to be down on the Danforth,but I think have moved closer to the downtown core.
    I took their "PLC Engineering technician" course and found them very good. They also offer many other courses including electronic (CET) courses and cnc stuff. They are the place to go if you want just the "CORE" subjects, with out all the English,History classes ect...that a college would insist you take also to get your diploma.

Best stategey is to just pick a course and go, there is so much to learn in these feilds(PLC's CNC's electronics, mechanics ect) and as others have mentioned you have to touch on all of them to some degree because they are all inter-twined in a machine. You will find you will need several different courses, maybe from different schools to get the skills you want. But nothing will replace real life hands on stuff, So I would say, get the course that interests you the most done, get a job, and continue learning, by taking night classes or advantage of training from your employer.
    Another thing to consider is that alot of new machines are all PC based control, knowing computers on a NT based system is becoming popular, as well as, wifi access and networking. In the last year we have pulled our out IT guy out of his office upstairs and put him on the production floor, he solves alot of problems for us with pc data collection/communications/networking of machines ect.... just another dynamic of how today's machines are further integrating into computer systems, and you can see this also in new machines that offer controls that are all together in one box...ie. PLC,CNC,and computer, instead of each device being seperate, and even different name brands all within the electrical cabinet....ok now I am bablying.....good luck with your decision.
    menomana

have a look at Sheridan's
    Electromechanical Engineering Technician/Technology
    If I went back to school its the course would take, fluid mechanics, PLC, electronics...
    maybe...