585,760 active members*
3,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Made the commitment

I just purchased the hobby cnc 4axis kit, so now all I have to do is build the router. I have a couple of large projects to do before the router, but I am planning on building an entry level router based on JGRO's design. My plan is to use the first to build the second. I think that the second will be more like Joe's 2006 model, I really like the idea of the double pipe. I am not sure yet though, I will learn so much on the first that I may completely change my mind by the second. My dream is to have something that can route 50inx100in with a Z travel of 10" so I could do some 4 axis work, but that is a lot of $ away.

Has anyone used the zink plated 3/4 pipes from rockler?
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10277
    I am thinking about a pair of these for the gantry.

I will keep updating when I start the project, but by posting this I am committing myself publically(That means I have to produce something.....). My hope is that I can have some type of working unit by the end of June.
    Lets see what happens....
    Stephen

Haa you think buying the hardware makes it any easier to get things done! Public committment or not I find allocating time and money very difficult. Hopefully you will do better.

As to some of your questions:

I'm not sure why you would want to go with Rockler as a pipe supplier. Go to a real plumbing supplier or better yet a metal suppllier. For the price you will pay at retail outlets / big boxes you can get complete lenghts of pipe sometime several times over.

As to the zinc plating I'm of mixed feelings on that. I suppose f you have environmental problems it would be OK. No good mind you and certainly not excellent.

As to building a machine to build another I've always have had mixed feelings about that. I'd seriously consider finding people in the area with tooling to get you through the complicated parts of a larger machine. I can see building two machines one to support the construciton of the other but you seem to be implying three or more to get to your goal. I think this is nuts as it is wastefull of time and money. It is probably OK if you realize that the machine you really want is several thousand dollars and probably years off in the future.

You also don't talk aobut materials you want to machine on the routers. At some point I would thnk that you would be using a bit of metal when it comes time to make you final goal machine. So there is some implication that one of the intermediate machines will need to support machining of Aluminum at the very least. I'm thinking you will want a small stiff gantry type mill as youur first machine, something that can build parts directly for you larger machine.

Best of luck and I do hope that you don't get side tracked like I have.

Thanks
    Dave

Dave,
    I only considered rockler because of the smooth finish of the zinc plated pipe. No other reason, as I have quite a few plumbing suppliers around me.

The final machine(third) is a long way off. The second machine would be the accurate and usable machine with a cutting area of 4'x4' with a z axis of 6" or more. My main reason for building the first is a learning experience. I also hope to be able to reuse the controller and motors for the second machine. I am a woodworker by trade, so I have plenty of scrap around to use for the body. I would have to buy the bearings, pipes, and fasteners, but the MDF would be pulled from the extras bin.

As far as finding someone locally, I would be open to the thought, but I only know of one person locally, and he makes his money selling plans on Ebay, so unless I buy his plans, I do not think he would be willing to help too much. It would be worth an ask though.

I primarily want to machine plywoods, mdf and some hardwoods. If I am in need of machining metals, I can always beg and borrow time on a friends Bridgeport.

I know how it is getting sidetracked on projects, and I am hoping it doesn't happen. We all know it will, but I figure it will not take too long to complete the woodworking portion. It is the rest that will take me some time.
    Stephen