584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

is fagor any good?

I am going to invest in a mill but I am unsure as to which controller to put on it. I am only slightly familiar with g code, so I want something with a conversational controller on it. I like the fagor 8055 with all of its capabilities, but I see lots of posts here about problems. also what is the difference between the 8055 and 8055i? I do like the option of a 4th axis which I am told is synchronous, if anyone has it hooked up is it truly synchronous? I want to engrave pictures on the outside of cylinders. I know all of you are competent professionals, so I value your opinions and experience.

Hi Chris,

Well, I can't speak about the 8055. But, I have and operate the old F8025M on a router and an F8040MC on a mill. I also did a major overhaul to a F8025 on a mill for a buddy. On the models that I have experience with, I have found them to be very good machines. At least these older machines seem to be fairly robust and reliable.

That's not to say that they are not a bit "quirky" at times. I have also found the manuals for these older models to be a bit difficult and frustrating to find stuff. The F8025 manuals were written in Spanish and loosely translated to English and sometimes it's awkward to read. But, I have also found just about anything I needed to learn about a machine in their manuals somewhere. It just takes time to read the manuals and become familiar with them. I think that's more the reason you see a lot of posters asking about stuff here - you have to take the time to get into the manuals really learn the controllers. The time you spend doing that will make operating and programming them much easier in the long haul.

On the F8040MC I have found the canned cycles to be fairly easy and intuitive to program from the control - but sometimes putting in profiles can be difficult. But then I end up just stabbing buttons for a while and eventually figure out what the control is looking for (what it wants to have input). Again, that's probably more my own fault for not getting the book out and really studying up on how to input the profiles.

I've found that stepping up from the old F8025 to the F8040 was a night and day difference. If I had access to an F8055 I would enjoy seeing how the control works and putting data in would be. I have not had too much of a problem getting post processors made for the CAM software I use. Most of the Fagor Gcode is standard Gcode. Although, there can be subtle differences how each manufacturer of machine controls handles some Gcode. But you will find that with any control manufacturer.

You will see the old F8025 still around on a lot of machines. The same buddy I mentioned runs 3 F8025T controls on 3 CNC lathes every day and has had no problems with them. He loves them. It was a great control in it's day and it just ran and ran. Fagor only recently decided to stop fully supporting it after almost 20 years. They will still work on them if they have the parts stores, so it depends - and that would not be relevant to an F8055 purchase. Except, it gives you an idea of how long Fagor will support your control if needed - all things being equal.

As I said, I am not very familiar with the F8055 series other than looking over the brochures online. In the past the "I" on the end of the control name has indicated that it is an "integrated" PLC instead of the control being attached to a "stand-alone" PLC. I have a little experience with the F8025MSI and in learning what I needed to learn about it I found that there are some good and bad aspects to having an integrated PLC. It depends on the application. It seems to me (and I may be somewhat off on this) that an integrated PLC is a good choice if you are going to run a typical machine with maybe just a automatic tool changer or something like that. If you have to run a machine that has a lot of "attachments" that need to be operated to control the parts that you are machining or multiple tool changers or multiple milling heads or something like that - then you need an NON-integrated, stand-alone PLC.

So far, I have not had to deal much directly with Fagor. My little bit of experience with that has been through other individuals that have worked with them. I have been told that the support is very good, but can be spendy. These are industrial controls and as such come with the requisite costs. So far, I am building a "hobby" business and the costs to have new controls and direct manufacturer support are not achievable for me. But, that's not any different than any other control or machine manufacturer. I have another buddy that has a Haas VMC and wanted a tool changer added to a used machine that he bought locally. After the sticker shock wore off, he had it done - but it was not inexpensive either. It's the cost of playing in that sandbox. So far, I've managed to stay out of that sandbox by fixing my own stuff as needed, with a little help from this forum.

So, I am sorry that I couldn't tell you a lot about the F8055. But, I hope that I could give you a little information about Fagor as the family of controls and the "company".

Good Luck,
    Todd

Thanks, Todd.
    Customer support is very important. I have some yasnak controlled mills and lathes in my shop. Yaskawa is the worst company ever for support. I am glad to hear that fagor is a good company for help. The manual having the answers is important too. All too often i have to help troubleshoot the nc machines and the answer is right on page 250 only the operator didnt look because it means a 30 minuit break. I have talked with one of the tecs from the new jersey office and he gave me his direct #, i dont even own the machine yet. I am going through with the purchase of an 8055i with a 4th axis and i will post again about my experience

I really like my lathe with an 8040 on it.
    I also have a lot of their DROs
    Fagor service in Canada has been excellent
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

8055 is modular control like the 8050, where the modules like CPU and axes card mount to a power supply chassis. Monitor is separate unit.

8055i is integrated, but integrated in that the monitor is in same unit as CNC. Sometimes this is referred to as compact.