586,011 active members*
4,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > Shopping for CNC router to cut wood type

Shopping for CNC router to cut wood type

I have been a woodworker for several years but have mostly worked with hand tools and am new to the concept of CNC routers. Professionally I write software and am a cartographer for the US government so I am familiar to the basic concepts behind their use and function. Recently I have started entertaining the concept of using a CNC to assist my sister who is a graphic designer and is opening a letterpress business. The letterpress equipment used in my sister's business uses font cut from wood, linoleum, plastic, and metal. What is the feasibility in using a cnc to cut these plates?

I would only require a working space of 11" x 17" so large size is by no means required but I would still like to know that my abilities will not be hampered by the machine's quality. I am usually the one to take DIY to an absurd degree but with production being my first priority I would like to be able to start working rather than having to spend weeks or months building my own. I have done some research but have received mostly contradictory information and could use a good place to start. Now I'm mostly wondering which brands I should be looking for and what are some I should avoid? I have heard that servo motors are preferred to stepped motors but haven't seen any that did not use stepped motors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What's your budget?

Generally, small machines tend to be lower quality hobby grade machines. To get a solid, heavy duty machine, you usually need to get up to at least a 2'x4' machine, and spend upwards of $5000-$6000. Very high quality smaller machines can cost even more. I'd probably say for a small machine to look at Romaxx, but it's still a rather light duty machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I had just looked at Romaxx and am surprised but still looking. As far as my budget goes... I'm flexible if it means I'm getting the best quality machine I can without paying for a brand name. In my experience with woodworking tools there the top of the line then there's something nearly as good for much less.

what are some examples of the nicer but smaller machines?

In my experience with woodworking tools there the top of the line then there's something nearly as good for much less.
    The main issue with CNC routers is that there just aren't that many quality options out there.

Here's a higher end small machine.
    CNC Mill | Benchtop CNC Mill | CNC Engraving Machine | MDX-40A | Roland DGA

I would say that you can probably build an equal or better machine for 1/3 the price, if you ave the knowledge and equipment.

For the same price, you can also get a much larger good quality machine. Stinger I CNC Router
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Where could I find a good list of things I need for a good metal frame cnc router? Or a basic how to? Most of the kits ive seen are mdf and id like to go with metal.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

cncrouterparts.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Ive looked at cncrouterpats and have narrowed it down to a few options...
    KRMx02 Parts Bundle
    CRP2448 2' x 4' CNC Router Kit
    Or Romaxx HS-1

Anyone have input on those or a better suggestion?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

GISer3546,

I'm in the exact same boat you are. I'm a long-time toolmaker here in Michigan and I've been researching like crazy. I have the know-how and experience to design and build my own machine....buuuuut I really don't want to! I've already done a CNC mill and now I'm on to a router. The Kronos machine looks extreeeeemely promising. I've looked at quite a few YouTube videos of this machine. It's a nice design and I wouldn't hesitate to cut some aluminum with it....and I think visually it's a nice design too!! Although if I decided to go this route, I will be using servo motors instead of steppers.

The Kronos design is also a very simple design and with the nice documentation and bill of materials(I don't know what your machine background is) it looks to be a great option for a first-timer. Design-wise...I would build the Kronos over buying the Romaxx. The Romaxx is a very nice little desktop machine for the price...and American-made. The Kronos is more of a brute and if you like to run fast(I definitely do) then it's for you. The Romaxx HS-1 states that it will move up to 1,200 I.P.M., but looking at the design of the gantry, and the guides and bearings used...I would be hesitant. Not saying it's not reliable in any way(as I don't own one)....but it is still a desktop hobby machine. One look at it and I would tell you it is NOT capable of cutting aluminum...at least not efficiently due to the nature of it's design.

SO!!...lol...I did read that you're not super interested in building a machine because you'd rather start working right away, so I guess I'll just say that with a little elbow grease and willingness to learn, you can have an awesome machine for a great price(especially with all the documentation Kronos has to help you build it). I hope my rant helps you out lol CHEERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GISer3546 View Post
    I had just looked at Romaxx and am surprised but still looking. As far as my budget goes... I'm flexible if it means I'm getting the best quality machine I can without paying for a brand name. In my experience with woodworking tools there the top of the line then there's something nearly as good for much less.

what are some examples of the nicer but smaller machines?
    The thing with CNC routers is that you are probably looking at the "nearly as good for much less" end of the spectrum and thinking that that's the top of the line. Top of the line for CNC routers is around $150k-500k, so a $30k-50k CNC router is probably the equivalent of a Grizzly cabinet saw compared to a Powermatic.

A Romaxx or similar would be along the lines of a plastic Harbor Freight table say by that comparison, so there just aren't a lot of options at that level.

I have met one of the guys from CNCRouterparts.com and he seemed like a good knowledgeable guy. I'm not sure that a Romaxx would be any better than their products, so it would come down to whether or not you want to assemble it yourself. I have seen a CNCRouterparts machine running and it does work fine. I don't think it's any more or less heavy duty than the Romaxx and you'll have to expect that either machine will just require taking lighter passes than a larger machine.

If you are looking for an industrial grade small machine, take a look at the Camaster Stinger 2' X 3' machine that has already been suggested. It is built to the same standards as their heavy industrial machines and shares some of the same components. I know of one high end cabinet maker who uses his every day in a production environment. If I buy a commercial machine rather than build a CNC Router Parts kit, that is the machine I will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If you are looking for an industrial grade small machine, take a look at the Camaster Stinger 2' X 3' machine that has already been suggested. It is built to the same standards as their heavy industrial machines and shares some of the same components. I know of one high end cabinet maker who uses his every day in a production environment. If I buy a commercial machine rather than build a CNC Router Parts kit, that is the machine I will buy.
    aaahhh yes!! I forgot about Camaster! good lookin' out!!