585,591 active members*
2,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Just bought an Omax 2652

GM auction the other day. Roughly 1/5th the price than from a machine tool dealer. It was a total crapshoot, haven't received it yet - probably after the holiday. Not sure the year - looks like a 2000 vintage. Apparently it has the dual intensifier option. Not sure yet what else.

What am I in for on this one lol? I normally dont buy a machine like this, but the price was worth the risk.

Is it typical to have to upgrade the software and PC?

Looking forward to see if this thing is going to work out, or be a really nice boat anchor. :drowning:

Hey!

I have used the same machine for over a year now, and i can tell you that the money is worth it!
    The omax machine has some "wierd" solutions. You can just run one axis at the same time, you can easy destroy the mixing tube when running it in too a clamp or something. But the machine it self is very good!
    It is not the biggest machine, but it work!

Just send me an PM if you want to!

Greetings from Robert.
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

If it already works with the current software and pc don't mess with it... Having not bought it new, I'm not sure if you can get the "free" software updates or if you will have to buy into them somehow? V20 of the software seems a little buggy sometimes running on an mid 2000's 55100 original pc, probably needs to be updated. V19 I run in the office has no issues.

Depending on how much you plan to run it you may want to stock up on consumables. We go through a nozzle about once a week. An on/off valve once every other week, sometimes once a week. About a pallet of garnet a week, maybe more. This one runs about 70-80hrs a week roughly.

Ok I wanted to chime back in again. I ended up buying a brand new PC with the latest software on it. Installed it all yesterday, and the machine runs just fine. I have not installed or tested the pump yet - that is next...I had to make sure the machine operated first, now on to the pump.

I have a couple questions:

1.) The pump is a 2040- 20hp 40kpsi. It appears to be in great shape, and came with a metric ton of spare parts from GM. Seems it will be good to go, but wont know until I try. The control has 2 outputs via pneumatic....Pump on, and abrasive on....thats it. Well incidentally, I also happened to come across a Jetedge 50kpsi intensifier.... I am wondering if I could just use the output signals from the omax that drive the solenoids - send to a relay, and use this Jetedge intensifier in place of the Omax pump? Its a much bigger pump, more hp and pressure....seems it also just needs a signal to turn on....it has self-contained startup controls via a small PLC, so I think it's just waiting for a signal to start. Any thoughts?

2.) This Omax machine is pretty old. It's only a 2 axis with no Z drive, just X and Y. I'd like to explore adding the Z axis drive to the machine...wondering if anyone has done this? I would have to look at a 2652 machine for the hardware needed - someone must have the part numbers for the drive, motor, and ballscrew etc for the Z axis?

Thanks!

From what I understand, when Omax is pretty good about making new/better products backwards compatible with older machines. You should just be able to call them up and order everything to make the Z-axis work in theory...

Can't help you with the JetEdge question.

Re: Just bought an Omax 2652

Getting the high voltage power run to the machine, and getting water over to it. I put a little bit of time in inserting a 19" LCD monitor into the bezel rather than what was there before....

Attachment 230294
    Before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140329_006_zps8e3b74f9.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	230296
    After

Can you post a picture of the whole machine? i have a 2012 model

Greetings from Robert
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

Attachment 230300

Cosmetically its.....well, rough. It functions though. I bought it from a GM auction so the pump has a bazillion rebuild parts with it. Just got the monitor retrofit done yesterday. Once I verify the pump is all good, I think it will get a paint job.

FWIW I have a Jetedge 50kpsi intensifier to use as well. After looking at the controls, it appears to be a relatively easy swap if I wanted to try it.

It was a relatively minimal investment to give this a try.

Here is a short vid clip of it after I got the new control installed (before the monitor retrofit)

I have a quick question regarding the nozzle on/off solenoid. My machine does not have one, however a friends Maxiem machine does. My machine is wired for one, and the software is running the relays to actuate one, but again there isn't one installed. When running Omax Make, and running the program, the sequence turns on the pump solenoid, then the nozzle moves to the cut position, then the nozzle on solenoid is actuated, then the cutting begins... Being that my machine does not have the nozzle solenoid, if I run it with its current sequence, the pump would immediately turn on and begin cutting as the nozzle moves across to the start position....

Is there somewhere in Omax Make software setup to eliminate the use of the nozzle solenoid in the logic? Or should I just run the pump solenoid itself off the nozzle solenoid terminal block so that it doesn't actually start cutting the part until the software calls for the nozzle solenoid to open? In that case do I need to add any dwell time for it to pierce?

Have you checked the on/off valves? They are air actuated to open/close. If they aren't being actuated, something like what you are describing would happen.

There should be two, one in the pump cabinet, and one right on top of the mixing tube... If I pull the air line out of the actuator the needle doesn't close and the jet doesn't shut off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	301501-600x600.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	236544

Not sure if this is much help? They are a common wear item and we replace them often. The oldest machine we have is a 2006 vintage... Maybe the 98 didn't have this yet, but you could surely add it... Maybe there is something in the software settings that would make it work without them?

Thanks. Actually thats where I am with the machine right now. It is an older unit, so it has a poppet-style check valve, and doesn't have the on/off or dump valves. Right now I am using the output for the valve open/close to drive the pump on/off...there's probably a setting in the software somewhere to work around not having an on/off valve, but changing the output did the same thing for now.....I am going to upgrade to the newer style... Another issue thats happening w/ the leaky valve is that dirty water is getting sucked back up the mixer tube past the jewel, and then when run again it blows the jewel out immediately....literally only getting 5-10 minutes of run time out of a jewel...

I am also in the process of looking to upgrade the pump to a newer VFD unit, newer design pump, etc...working with an outfit to get me pricing on the pump and on/off valve upgrades...

For what I paid for this machine, all of this RnD to get it running is well worth it. Besides, its a fun learning curve too.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Making a few changes to the system. I had a complete Jet Edge system that was on a robot. I am using the Permalign II on/off valve and nozzle/head, along with min-hopper and a pretty sweet high pressure gauge....adapted that stuff to my Omax, working on getting the hp lines fit up now. I like the Jet Edge abrasive feed system better anyway....seems more robust than what I had. From what I understand the on/off valve is opposite state than the omax, so I will have to run a relay...

I am purchasing a newer Omax VFD 2040 direct drive pump with a dump valve system, and have sold the older unit as of yesterday. I'll now be able to use the on/off valve system....the abrasive open/close air cylinder is not a spring-return like on my stock Omax unit, so I'll have to add another solenoid valve in the control - not an issue...

I also have a Jetedge 50-55C intensifier, but I think I am going to sell that off and go with the direct drive so that I don't have to up-size my electrical system feeding the unit (would need a huge step-up transformer to run that 50hp motor)...

Here is a pic of my hybrid in progress...

Attachment 238792

Updated post - here is the system running a completely rebuilt 2040V vfd pump, with new omax on/off valve assembly. Running perfectly. I scrapped the Jetedge min-hopper idea - that thing was a PITA. I put the old Omax original back on, and decided to use an Omax on/off valve with the Omax pump for timing purposes as well as I think the Jetedge on/off was setup for an intensifier so it was opposite (normally open - correct me if I am wrong) - made more sense to just go with OEM stuff....but it's working great now.

Thanks for all the helpful posts! I'm in process of bringing in an OMAX 2652 with the P2040V pump. Where were you able to find manuals for the pump rebuild you had done?

Really great stuff here, keep up the good work.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dannyslade View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful posts! I'm in process of bringing in an OMAX 2652 with the P2040V pump. Where were you able to find manuals for the pump rebuild you had done?

Really great stuff here, keep up the good work.
    Dan
    Hi Dan

Go to omax.com
    And the create a user account, you will need the machine serial number for this.
    You can then go to the customer dashboard , on there you will find lots off useful information. All rebuild instructions and videos to do most of the maintenance tasks.
    Thanks.
    Neil