585,973 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine decission

Hello....
    I looking for plan as my friend want to make CNC.
    I look to JGRO design and seems to be little flimsy, but have nice plan, the other is Joes CNC and seems to be strudier with less detailed plan. I look for feedback what to use. Does someone build both to compare?

I select "wood" machine as friend has skills in woodworking and tools to do that. (otherwise I think mechmate should be canidate)

Thanks

...I forget to say that optimum worksize is 30cm by 40cm by 10cm. And need to be as precisse as possible... (we all want that)

Sturdy is important! There are many many machines out there built by people that are very good. However working with wood does impact the design and limits it somewhat. The size you mentioned in your other post isn't that big really. As such I don't think looking at other materials is a big problem.

In any event it really comes down to what you expect to do with the machine. If you want extreme precision then you ought to consider other material besides wood. Wood simply isn't stable with changes in moisture or seasons. Again though the machines use dictates at times the materials it is built out of.

So you really need to determine what the intended uses are for the machine before choosing a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by slavkok View Post
    Hello....
    I look to JGRO design and seems to be little flimsy, but have nice plan, the other is Joes CNC and seems to be strudier with less detailed plan. I look for feedback what to use. Does someone build both to compare?

I select "wood" machine as friend has skills in woodworking and tools to do that. (otherwise I think mechmate should be canidate)

Thanks

...I forget to say that optimum worksize is 30cm by 40cm by 10cm. And need to be as precisse as possible... (we all want that)
    That is a fairly small machine, about 15" in the biggest dimension here in the states. When you say precise as possible though you really don't help us much. What is possible and what is affordable are two different things. What you need to do is determine what you need to get the job done.

The fact that this is a small machine will likely be an advantage for you as there are so many existing examples of machines out there that you can draw design inspiration from. You should seriously consider metal construction though if precision is really a high importance goal. This might require enlisting the services of a local machine shop for some parts though.

I agree that this machine is pretty small. About precission? Well if it cut circle with 100mm diameter and come out 101mm really isn't high problem, but the next one should came out in same dimension accurate to 0.1mm. So absolute precission isnt needed to be high but repeadibility should be high. Of course if they do next part after few day's they can't be same if humidity or temperature change. And him preferr wood as didn't have tools to make metal one. (and I don't have so much spare time to do metalworking for him).

Hello....

Thanks
    JGRO has unsupported rails good for only the lightest duty, Joes2006 is good but very challenging to build by hand, it's intended to be CNC cut. I'd check out an extrusion-based machine.

I already discard JGRO as pipe isn't supported. I know that even in small machine this is problematic. But didn't realize that Joes is mean't to be CNCed. I do little recheck on plans and realize that is really hard to do with even equiped workshop. And there are no measurment probably for same reason too. But still like the torsion boxes for bed and gantry. But can't find plans (free if possible ) for something nice and working.