584,849 active members*
4,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NM135 v2.1 telescoping Y axis ball screw cover jamming up

NM135 v2.1 telescoping Y axis ball screw cover jamming up

I had thought the Y axis always sounded "crunchy" when moving. I finally started using this thing to try to produce something, and 3 parts in the telescoping Y axis ball screw cover started jamming up... I figured something had come loose, a nut or screw was jamming up the Y. I removed the telescoping cover piece, searched high and low, but could not find anything that could possibly be jamming other than the cover itself. It seems very tight, and doesn't move easily by hand...

I went ahead and left it off for the time being, and used a 1 gal zip lock McMaster Carr bag over the ball screw to keep debris off of it, and am currently trying to keep everything extra clean... The Y axis now doesn't sound as crunchy when moving with the cover removed.

It seems like another "bellows" type think like on the Z axis would be a much better solution than the aluminum telescoping cover?

Anyone else have issue like this? What was your fix? The plastic bag probably isn't the best solution, but its better than nothing.

Telescoping way covers are infinitely better than bellows, when they work properly. I can't imagine that the ones on your machine cannot be made to work with minimal effort. they are extremely simple mechanical devices.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Telescoping way covers are infinitely better than bellows, when they work properly. I can't imagine that the ones on your machine cannot be made to work with minimal effort. they are extremely simple mechanical devices.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Guess I'll take a closer look at it...

Ray, why are bellows better than telescopes?

I have both on my machine (on different axis), and I have zero faith that the rubber wiper/seals on the telescope edges remain sealed at all times. The bellows, however, are entirely impervious to coolant (unless they have a hole stabbed through them or something). I was thinking of replacing the telescopes with bellows...

Bellows invariably end up getting punctured and leaking at some point. They rarely seem to cover enough to effectively keep chips and coolant off the ways and screws. On many machines, they will get filled with chips, and eventually restrict range of motion. On small, light-duty machines they can work ok, but properly designed telescoping covers can be near 100% effective, and pretty much indestructible. Well-designed telescoping covers (as you see on virtually all commercial machines) should not be dependent solely on rubber seals to keep coolant out - they should be effectively baffled, so coolant can't get where it doesn't being without defying gravity. Bellows CAN work fine, but at least as often than not, they do not.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I was tickled with the sliders on my Torus.
    I have already worn out bellows and even a flat way cover or two on my home made mill.
    Next ones will be made like these sliders.
    A little coolant will not hurt your ways much. It's the chips you want to keep out.
    I am confident that the wipers are good enough to control chips on my Torus.

That said, I need to contact John.
    Last week my Z bellows came apart and is no longer doing it's job.
    I wonder if there might be something better they can provide?

I'll let ya'll know what I find out.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Bellows invariably end up getting punctured and leaking at some point. They rarely seem to cover enough to effectively keep chips and coolant off the ways and screws. On many machines, they will get filled with chips, and eventually restrict range of motion. On small, light-duty machines they can work ok, but properly designed telescoping covers can be near 100% effective, and pretty much indestructible. Well-designed telescoping covers (as you see on virtually all commercial machines) should not be dependent solely on rubber seals to keep coolant out - they should be effectively baffled, so coolant can't get where it doesn't being without defying gravity. Bellows CAN work fine, but at least as often than not, they do not.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    The ONLY advantage of bellows is their relatively low cost. If you have telescoping way covers, stick with them. As ray indicated, they're pretty simple devices, and are likely just a little bent out of shape.

After doing a little research, I found that someone had mentioned using a rack & pinion steering boot... Seems like a decent idea, shouldn't rip or tear as easily as a bellows but still allow function and full range of movement if a guy could find one the right size?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsn95 View Post
    After doing a little research, I found that someone had mentioned using a rack & pinion steering boot... Seems like a decent idea, shouldn't rip or tear as easily as a bellows but still allow function and full range of movement if a guy could find one the right size?
    That would take care of the ballscrew, but still leave your ways exposed, right? If all you care about is the screws, the coil type ballscrew covers work great.. But I'd still just fix your way covers.