585,975 active members*
4,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Pulsar rigid tapping - confused

Pulsar rigid tapping - confused

Hi all,
    I've been working with my new Pulsar to learn the basics and now I'm ready to try rigid tapping. I've got the bob switch set to tapping on (because I do have A axis capability), rotary table is not currently installed or connected (has not arrived yet) but the stepper driver is installed and wired up in the enclosure. This should allow axis swapping as I understand it.

I got some sample code from LeeWay, thanks Lee!

I've looked at G-code examples and it looks very straight forth, set the bob switch, call G91, then set spindle Z distance and spindle revolutions via A. When I issue the following:
    G91
    Z-0.5 A16

I get the commanded 1/2" of z travel, but it looks like the spindle turns 1600 revolutions (just guessing, it's a lot of revolutions), not 16. A axis DRO shows 16 when code execution is complete. Any suggestions on what I might be missing? I'm sure it's something simple

Tapping programming

Hello Ivans,

The steps per revolution for tapping is derived from the A axis "steps per". The BOB simply switches between the spindle "steps per" and the A axis "steps per" based on activity on the spindle line. When not free running, it will select the 4th axis step count by default (based on the tapping switch). We don't think it is turning 1600 revolutions, but possible 160 indicating, a factor of 10 error on the A xis programming most likely. You can try modifying the value by 10 to see the results. Otherwise just send us a copy of the XML profile to [email protected] and we can take a quick look.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    Hello Ivans,

The steps per revolution for tapping is derived from the A axis "steps per". The BOB simply switches between the spindle "steps per" and the A axis "steps per" based on activity on the spindle line. When not free running, it will select the 4th axis step count by default (based on the tapping switch). We don't think it is turning 1600 revolutions, but possible 160 indicating, a factor of 10 error on the A xis programming most likely. You can try modifying the value by 10 to see the results. Otherwise just send us a copy of the XML profile to [email protected] and we can take a quick look.

Regards,
    Novakon Team
    Novakon,
    XML file sent, to get to anything that looks close to 16 rev's I had to change the "steps per" from 8000 to 80 on A axis. Hmmmm.... I'm confused.

Thanks,
    Dan

Hello Dan,

We found the problem. You have the xml file for the next generation BOB utilizing switching between two electronic gearing ratios for the servo drivers. Your BOB version uses only one electronic gear ratio selection for both tapping and spindle free run, therefore, the MACH3 setting are slightly different. We have sent you the new xml file to your email.

Regards,
    Novakon Team