585,753 active members*
4,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Holding Beer MUGS

How are you guys holding beer mugs for engraving? The handle is too heavy and it causes it to slip when using the friction roller wheels rotary attachment.

I also have the three jaw chuck type rotary, but have not figured out how to grip a beer mug with them since it is metal on glass.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMO a chuck type rotary is ten times more useful than a friction roller type. Other will disagree no doubt. A beer mug is just one example.

However the chuck itself is only useful for some things. To get the best from this type of rotary you need a range of work holding fixtures.

At least as handy as a chuck, and probably much more so, is some cones. A few sizes, both external and internal.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyreef View Post
    How are you guys holding beer mugs for engraving? The handle is too heavy and it causes it to slip when using the friction roller wheels rotary attachment. I also have the three jaw chuck type rotary, but have not figured out how to grip a beer mug with them since it is metal on glass. Any help would be appreciated.
    Try rubber pads on the inside or outside of the jaws on your chuck. Don't over-tighten! Look for some thin weather striping.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver