584,849 active members*
4,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Need help wiring 230V AC spindle motor

Need help wiring 230V AC spindle motor

I have a Ex-cell-o knee mill that I want to put at single phase motor on for the time being. When I bought it, it came with a 3 phase and 1 phase motor as well as 2 switches. The current switch is very big and bulky. it looks like 2 drum switches linked togather as there is 2 boxes connected and a lever on the front and back. The other switch that is with the 1 phase motor is a reversible cam switch which I want to use.

The motor is a 115/230V single phase, capacitor start, induction run, thermally protected motor. it's an integral motor, 6 pole.

My source is 230V - 2 hot and 1 ground (old style dryer plug)

From the motor I have, T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 & T8
    T1 on the motor goes to a reset switch and there another 2 leads from the reset switch. one is P2 and the other is P1.
    T5 goes to the cap and then there another T5 lead coming from it.

My switch is a Kraus & Naimer CA 10
    It looks brand new. There are 12 terminals on it labelled 1 though 12. A jumper from 7 to 11 and 5 to 9. I have attached a picture of the switch.
    for reference, the terminals showing are 4,8,12 left top to bottom and 2,6,10 right top to bottom

Any ideas on where to connect the motor leads to the switch and the 230V supply voltage to the switch? I cant find any wiring diagrams that for this switch.

Any imput or direction would be greatly appreciated.

thanx,

dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM002781.JPG  

If you go to this Kraus Naimer page and select the switch type and the switch function from the label, you can get the wiring diagram.
    What is the make and model of the motor?

It's a Marathon electric motor. I will get the model of it when I get home from work.
    As for the switch, It's a CA10 and the only A### on it is A300 and that's not in the list of functions. The site says function A401 for motor reversiing switches but it only shows a diagram for 3 phase. The switch says it can to 1/3 phase.

You can use a meter and reverse engineer the contact sequence.
    I put on VFD's to use the 3ph motors on my Excello's and did away with the vari-speed pulley.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanx for the replies.

I used Al's suggestion to reverse engineer the contact sequence for the switch. I also asked our electrician/automation technician on friday for the motor... he was in a hurry to leave but he let me borrow his EASA Electrical Engineering Pocket Handbook and showed me the diagram for my type of motor.

I checked and double checked before I wired it up. It works just fine.

The VFD will come later on as I'm still toying with the idea of converting it to CNC. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a phase converter or a VFD and go CNC. I guess if I go with a VFD, I will be good either way.

thanx again for the responces