585,589 active members*
2,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Control Retrofit for 1993 Fadal 6030

Control Retrofit for 1993 Fadal 6030

I've just purchased a 6030 with DC drives and linear scales, The machine
    already has a numatix retrofit on it. That control has become increasingly more unstable
    and occasionally crashes the machine. I'm looking for a viable Re-retrofit that will retain the drives and motors.
    I would really like to keep the cost down till I can get the old girl making money.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

There are no real good retrofit options out there... at least not any that are "plug and play". I was hoping to find something myself, but have yet to find anything. The numatix is an expensive retrofit - it's a bummer it's giving you issues.

I've heard rumors there is a company looking at using camsoft which will tie into the existing wiring and basically just reproduce the old control signals to make the retrofit close to plug and play. That being said, it was supposed to be released in October and there still isn't any info out there on who's doing it or how it works. I'll wait to see how that one works and see if I want to go that route. I do alot of surfacing so hope to find something sometime, but the old cnc88 is still hanging in there so I can wait.

Good luck, and let us know if you figure anything out for a replacement.

There is a great and inexpensive option. Power automation. I can get you in touch with them if you're interested. Much more reliable than the numatix, fully supported, and extremely fast.

[email protected]

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by dunnitagain View Post
    I've just purchased a 6030 with DC drives and linear scales, The machine
    already has a numatix retrofit on it. That control has become increasingly more unstable
    and occasionally crashes the machine. I'm looking for a viable Re-retrofit that will retain the drives and motors.
    I would really like to keep the cost down till I can get the old girl making money.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    I know of a very reliable and affordable retrofit control. We just installed it on our 4020 fadal and it blows the original fadal control away. Perfect for 3d parts. Same concept of numatix only better. Flys in all 3 axis simultaneously, and we get a much better part finish than before. Machine isn't banging around anymore. Company is called power automation. German control that dominates in Europe, just getting introduced here. They primarily retrofit huge machines but can easily do smaller ones like a fadal. Plugs right into your existing drives and motors. I have a good contact at the company so let me know if you at least want to see what they can offer you and I can get you in touch. Good luck

Russ

Hi Russ , I think I've purchased Fadal parts from you guys before! I,ve seen that Power Automation control and I looks nice . I would like more info on it . I'd really like to use my existing Hardware ,and reconfigure to different software. I like the Numatix control because it its very smooth ,accurate and extremely fast compared to the Fadal control. But the principals involved in the Numatixs and Numeryx are not people I feel comfortable doing business with. ( Met them both ) Nor can I afford them,
    Since the original man behind the software has died , there have been NO updates to either.

Yes Gil the inventor was a smart guy but any updates did go with him.

I will get you in touch with the right guys at power automation. Doesn't hurt to look

Russ

Russ,

Do you have an estimate of the cost of the Power Automation retrofit? Or is that forbidden on forums? IIRC, the Numatic was at least $15K. I have a 3016 I would like to retrofit one day. I'm new to cnc and not making income yet, but I also like to plan ahead. I'd like something close to plug and play so I can install myself.

Thanks!

Ever get this resolved?

Russ

Hi Russ, No not yet , Thinking of selling for parts.... What would a power automation setup cost? I really like the Numatix features but being tied to one source for service.
    Really is a hold up . I know a fellow that has a similar machine , with Numatix Control and he loves it . But I would like more freedom in my choices.

Little update. President of power automation is flying in to Florida next week to meet with my father and a few investors. I think just the control no motors is under $10k. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I'll have more info next week.

Russ

Shoot me an email. I can at least get you in touch and you can see for yourself what it's all about.

[email protected]

Russ

Hey guys, im going to retrofit my fadal to mach 3 with a motion controller to use the existing servos and drives, ill start a page called Fadal to Mach 3 conversion, im uploading some vids now...

P.S. 10k for a retrofit sounds about right, but with the extreme simplicity of fadals electronics, wiring up and setting up mach 3 will cost you 2k, and you all you existing components, maybe 5k if you get someone to install it for ya....just FYI

Yes Mach 3 does rigid tap, if you were wondering....

Good luck!

Good luck. Hope it all works out

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Re: Control Retrofit for 1993 Fadal 6030

Just FYI, We have had 3 machines retrofitted to Camsoft. Two were just Camsoft controls added to existing wiring, servos, ect and one done with a complete Camsoft kit and they have been nothing but trouble. Our main issue have been with the Galil card. I do not know about anyone else but it just seems that running production shop equipment through a Windows PC hasn't been a good idea in our shop.

Look up or call Delta Tau in Calif. Their motion control is the best! And it will work with your drives, I'm sure they're =/- 10vdc signal aren't they? Setting this up is a little involved but the result is worth the trouble. It's PC based with a separate motion control board to close the loop on the servos.

Thanks Greggv, I will let our guy know when he has to resolve this issue again.

I agree with the Delta Tau Products, they are top notch. I'm looking to go with a full Centriod Retrofit . The Camsoft deal is based on way to much Sales BS and not enough hard Documentation.

I agree dunnitagain, I am sure that the Camsoft would be ok if you were using it as a hobby, but for an industrial use, it is not stable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mike^3 View Post
    Hey guys, im going to retrofit my fadal to mach 3 with a motion controller to use the existing servos and drives, ill start a page called Fadal to Mach 3 conversion, im uploading some vids now...

P.S. 10k for a retrofit sounds about right, but with the extreme simplicity of fadals electronics, wiring up and setting up mach 3 will cost you 2k, and you all you existing components, maybe 5k if you get someone to install it for ya....just FYI

Yes Mach 3 does rigid tap, if you were wondering....

Good luck!
    That sounds painful! If your using a simple PC based system like Mach your stuck with a step and direction signal system based on the performance of the ports and CPU speed. Your also opening your whole CNC tool up to alot of quirks that can happen if your not properly shielding the PC for use (Think about firewall, other programs gobbling resources). You would have a hard time getting that less than .5% motion loss that you should have on a machine tool. ....but did you get it running? Was it as slow as you thought it would be?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.