584,879 active members*
5,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Haas Probing

Haas Probing

Hi hope someone can help me here please !
    Im recently having problems when probing a bore using my Haas mill

The machine in question has had some accuracy issues so had Haas in and they ballbar my machine and it is now good also had the alignments checked and adjusted to suit !

The issues I am getting is when I probe a bore to set my work offset after calibrating it as per the Haas Calibration Routines
    I then check my work offset using a DTI Clock I find it out and the parts I produce will be scrap !
    Has any ever come across this problem before and found a way around it ? is there a different cycle a more accurate one I need to use ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Russell

If you calibrate your probe on a certain hole, it should be it up (diameter and position) perfectly.

Some things to watch out for when calibrating:
    - be sure to clear all Macro Variables at the beginning of the probe calibration process
    - be sure to indicate in the ball on the stylus of your probe, getting it on center (adjustment screws on side), with no runout

I would use the VQC calibration templates.

Sometimes the spindle probe (OMP40-2) needs to be configured. Attached is a document showing the settings.

If you still have problems, I'd give your dealer a call and have them look at things. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AP-401 X1 OMP40-2 Set.pdf 
Views:	1 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	211384

hey rusty, sounds like i have the same problem. i used to use renishaw probes constantly with no issues. i now work at a new shop where the probes are there but no one uses them. everything there has been really neglected. if i calibrate the probe with a ring gage, then probe that ring gage i will look at variable #189. you can look at this varible to see what the measured size of that bore is. ( or anything else you probe) for me there will be a .0005 to .001 difference between the actual gage size and what the machine says it is. i have found the same issue as yourself. i will probe a bore or boss to find my work offset then run an indicator around the boss and it will be off maybe .0007 . i am not sure if its a probe issue or a machine issue. this shop will not pay for Hass to look at anything.
    my probes are the renishaw omp 40 series. i know these are lower grade probes and the "reading points" are not designed for off angles (i was told by Hass they measure at 30 degree increments only) . i used to use the omp 400 for this type probing.
    the standard calibration cycle is P9803. this will use touch points of north,south,east, west. if you are doing any probing on angled surfaces you should be using the P9804 calibration. this uses many more touch points.
    i am hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. am i expecting too much for a probe to be that accurate?