585,668 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Simple manual stepper motor control?
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Simple manual stepper motor control?

Mate, still trying to sort out my dip sw on the driver.
    And also, there is the dip sw on the controller.
    Don't know if it is old age, but I have trouble getting my head around, the settings terminology.
    Yes, a lovely little Pot and Knob, hey!
    Cheers,
    Mark Needham

Well, I found I had a second one in the mailbox... this:
    Stepper Motor Pulse Signal Generator Module Driver Controller Speed Regulator | eBay
    Already have it hooked up to a test driver and motor. Only thing I've learned so far is you need to power it with 5 volts. If you supply it with 12 like it says you can it will feed that right to your driver. Anyhow the pulse rate is to high for the motor i'm testing. I'll try the one like you have Sunday.. or I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by dram View Post
    I'll try and get at it to-night.

Got some issues with my TB6600, DIP sw settings.

Also the other 2 ebay units have turned up
    I just looked at the dip switch settings for your driver, find out the amp rating of the coils for the motor you are using. Find that rating on the graph and set the switches to match. On the step rate that is kinda optional. Adjust as needed to smooth out the motor. The amp setting is more of an issue, to high and your motor gets hot. At least that is as best I understand it.

OK for an update. I do have one version up and running with one of my test motors. Best to start with the step rate on the driver set to full steps. Once I made that change the motor worked pretty well and stepped nice and smooth. If your starting and stopping it works best to turn the pot back down and then start it up. If you have it set at high it does not like to start at full speed.

I have a "Fire Permit" from the warden, I will power up to-night.

I have a "Fire Permit" from the warden, I will power up to-night.
    OK. If I see a glow on the horizon I'll assume things did not go well.

Be interesting to hear about any results. I've found that the pot tends to be able to vary the pulse rate beyond what the motor likes. Both at the high and low end of the pot's total range. When I get more of the details finalized I may just use a pin stop to limit travel on the pot. That way what ever setting it's at you can not move it into a range were it starts to chatter or hum.

OK.
    I have had a win. still more to do, but no smoke...!
    Posting videos youtube. will update as we go.
    Mark Needham

Here's the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8aDEJU9CPQ

That is excellent to see. Now I'm excited to get mine hooked up. I'm using the little one right now with the pot soldered to the board. How did CW and CCW switching go? runs smooth both ways?

I used my small stepper, in the video, about .2amp. High/Low/Fwd/Rev all worked good.
    Hooked up my 2amp motor at lunch, at top speed by the pot, she suddenly stopped.
    Controller current setting still at 200ma, reset the current on the controller, and all's good.
    Will, now straighten up and put it in a spiffy box.
    But, like a good little Aussie Bloke, I will play with it a bit more. Sure is fun, hey! (lol)
    Mark Needham

This is my test set up for this board: pulse generator with pot
    on the right is an AC gear motor that the stepper will replace. Gear motor is loud and hot next to the little stepper. It has been running for over 24 hours at this point. PC boards are all cool to the touch and the motor is just warm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00683.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	284804

I used my small stepper, in the video, about .2amp. High/Low/Fwd/Rev all worked good.
    Hooked up my 2amp motor at lunch, at top speed by the pot, she suddenly stopped.
    Controller current setting still at 200ma, reset the current on the controller, and all's good.
    Will, now straighten up and put it in a spiffy box.
    But, like a good little Aussie Bloke, I will play with it a bit more. Sure is fun, hey! (lol)
    Mark Needham
    Mark,
    Question for you if you don't mind. 24 volt power supply to the driver?

The same power supply to the Driver and controller.
    Switched 24vdc.
    I am also putting a push button (N/O, momentary, single pole) in series with the Speed Control Potentiometer, to enable "Fast Speed" ie, Flat chat.
    When cutting, say a gear. This will be the set up.
    1. Fwd.
    2. Press "start".
    3. Set slow cutting speed.
    4. Approach job.
    5. Start and complete cut.
    6. FwdOff Rev to "Off." then Reverse.
    7. Press the "Fast Speed" till back at start point.
    8. Stop.
    9. Index job.
    10 Fwd. then "start"
    Seems complicated as, but the idea is to just leave the "Speed at the preset", instead of using the pot to increase speed on the return/reset trip, and conversely setting the cutting speed again.
    It is amazing, the "motions" involved when you sit down and write them in sequence.
    Starting to see the "mindset" you have to be in to "programme CNC"
    Mark Needham.

The same power supply to the Driver and controller.
    Switched 24vdc.
    Have to run 2 power supplies on mine. Motor supply is 60V. I take it that like most drivers you don't have to connect anything to the "enable" on the driver for it to work? I found it odd that the $6.00 controller with the built in pot had an enable output but the more pricey one that we both have does not.

Bill

Install a 3 axis pendant on the board so you wouldn't need a computer. Power up the machine and control axes with the pendant. Would this do what your customer want?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Install a 3 axis pendant on the board so you wouldn't need a computer. Power up the machine and control axes with the pendant. Would this do what your customer want?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    I have looked at some pendants, 3 axis control is not needed though. It is limited to one axis only.

G'day. In this case the customer is me, and like me mate, I only want to drive one stepper motor, 1 axis.
    The whole idea is to , 'not use a computer"
    Hey, c/works. Motor became as hot as, last night.
    I will change, my Toggle direction switch, to a spring return from both sides. I reckon all inputs to the ebay controller are "momentary" 'cept for speed pot.
    I was playing with the ..........add more later.....
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1434846105mode switch, to select the correct one.
    I still have the other driver from e.bay, which at this time I will not use, as I seem to be having a win with this one.
    I often wonder how Galane, is going.

Mark,
    Congrats on getting the test setup running. I would love to see the final install. Will you share a picture or video you have everything installed on the machine?
    Tim

Hey, c/works. Motor became as hot as, last night..
    amp setting to high on the motor?
    I was playing with thehttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1434846105mode switch, to select the correct one..
    I'll admit that some thing got lost in the translation on the mode selection. Have mine half way wired up at this point. Most effort is going into the little NEMA 23 low speed motors.
    I still have the other driver from e.bay, which at this time I will not use, as I seem to be having a win with this one.
    I often wonder how Galane, is going.
    I know what you mean, besides this little unit does not provide a 5V signal unless you power it with 5 volts. I just got a TB6560 driver, motor and pulse generator all running from 12 volts. Had to put a 1.5K resistor on the signal line so it would run OK.

Quote Originally Posted by cstmwrks View Post
    amp setting to high on the motor
    reckon the Fwd/Rev switch. Being on all the time, won't let the tb6600 drop the drive current to a "lower setting."
    Find out later to-night, when I play with "fast sw" some more. Couldn't get it to work last night.
    Cheers,
    Mark Needham

Thanks Tim.
    I'm not the fastest pill in the "ice bag".
    yeah, will do a mud map 'n photos. It is really only connecting up proprietary items, to do my "bidding''.
    I do like showing how clever I'm not, to the world.
    Like, playing Rach 5, " or (Chop Sticks) with no piano lessons, hey!
    Cheers,
    Mark Needham

reckon the Fwd/Rev switch. Being on all the time, won't let the tb6600 drop the drive current to a "lower setting."
    Find out later to-night, when I play with "fast sw" some more. Couldn't get it to work last night.
    Cheers,
    Mark Needham
    Good call. Got some time to focus on mine now. Will get an "on off on" to wire to the CW and CCW and see what happens with mine.

Page 2 of 3 123