585,981 active members*
4,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Simple manual stepper motor control?
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Simple manual stepper motor control?

Mark,
    Got everything up and running about an hour ago. So this controller IS designed around momentary contact buttons. I bought some SP DT switches and wired them up to test things out. So once you turn the motor on and then set the switch to "off" ( center ) the motor will just keep on chugging away. It took toggling the switch to it's other "on" position to turn the motor off. Same thing with CW and CCW. There is no off to drop drive current to a lower setting. It just remembers what ever the last setting was. At least that is how things are working with mine and the DM860A driver.

It may take sending a 5+ signal to the enable input to allow the motor to rest without drawing amps and getting hot. Or a different driver with adjustable idle current.

Quote Originally Posted by cstmwrks View Post
    Mark,
    Got everything up and running about an hour ago. So this controller IS designed around momentary contact buttons. I bought some SP DT switches and wired them up to test things out. So once you turn the motor on and then set the switch to "off" ( center ) the motor will just keep on chugging away. It took toggling the switch to it's other "on" position to turn the motor off. Same thing with CW and CCW. There is no off to drop drive current to a lower setting. It just remembers what ever the last setting was. At least that is how things are working with mine and the DM860A driver.

It may take sending a 5+ signal to the enable input to allow the motor to rest without drawing amps and getting hot. Or a different driver with adjustable idle current.
    Ok.
    1. The Fwd.Off.Rev switch.. I am now using a spring return to "Off". Or just use 2 mom contact switches. Yes, happened to me too.
    It feeds an (opposite -ve +ve pulse) as required. By only/just, going to Off, it is still in its Fwd or Rev mode.
    Also, to stop the stepper, step on the stopper. Sorry mate, "Press the Stop Switch".
    2. The DIP switch, on our ebay controller, still has me a bit buggered also. This will change the Mode of operation. ie, trigger, retrigger, auto trigger and No trigger.
    As soon as I can nail the 2 pin DIP, I will let you know my thoughts on that. Sometimes I feel a bit of a DIP, hey!
    3. Enable. I haven't been there yet. Found enough problems without that. LOL.

Plus I did the usual silly thing last night, changed 2 parameters at the one time.
    So I don't have a clue as to what is doing whom, who or what and when.
    Nb. Only ever change 1 thing at a time, take notes, noting all switch positions and what the change is. Test and evaluate, and record results.

I have the Fast Speed switch working. It is a NC/ Mom/Sw, in series with any leg of the speed Potentiometer. I press it, hold till it will be back where I want it, release and it should Stop., or resume the speed as set by the speed Potentiometer. At least this bit is working.

I am also going to shout myself another driver. The TB6600, has its issues ( don't we all) refer Planet CNC ? View topic - Design fault HY-DIV268N (TB6600)
    I will get an M542H.
    Cheers, 'n Good Stepping,
    Mark Needham

Quote Originally Posted by dram View Post
    Ok.
    1. The Fwd.Off.Rev
    Also, to stop the stepper, step on the stopper.
    My first vision was of a rubber tub stopper as a foot switch being stomped by a size 13 shoe.

To the DIP switches.
    Have all of them figured out.
    Inching mode means that you have to hold the momentary down to move the motor, release it and the motor stops, no need to trigger the off button.
    Single trigger sets it up so that ANY of the other three inputs,stop, CW and CCW will just stop the motor.
    Single time back and forth puts it in a mode so that You can start the motor and when it hits a limit (CW) switch it will return back to the second (CCW) limit switch and then stop.
    Automatic means that you can watch what ever your driving bounce back and forth between the CW and CCW input if there set up as limit switched untill you get bored and hit the off switch.

The M542H will also have a switch ( nr 4 on mine ) that allows half current when the motor is stopped. This will cool down the motor when not working, and still keep it holding it's position.
    I'm using four of these ( including rotary table ) in my milling machine that I changed to CNC
    Rgds, Toin

Quote Originally Posted by dram View Post
    Mate, still trying to sort out my dip sw on the driver.
    And also, there is the dip sw on the controller.
    Don't know if it is old age, but I have trouble getting my head around, the settings terminology.
    Yes, a lovely little Pot and Knob, hey!
    Cheers,
    Mark Needham
    Tip for using this motor control.
    I found that power has to be off after each change of dip switches (4 modes)
    I was scratching my head why is not working like should when switches set while was running or even power was on.
    So power off act as reboot sort off. Works for me, I use for power feed on my mill and reciprocating saw all driven by Nema 34 stepper 7.2A.

has anyone used the USB header pin on these boards?

Page 3 of 3 123