585,663 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No Joy with LinuxCNC Demo

Being curious about LinuxCNC, I downloaded the 10.04 iso and tried to run it demo mode on two different computers. On both, the demo hung up partway through and would not run. The checksum on the iso is OK. Both computers were 32-bit XP systems.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is there some glaringly obvious step that I'm missing? Having seen a certain amount of squirreliness in Mach, I'd really like to check out LinuxCNC.

Thanks.

The glaringly obvious step you missed was that LinuxCNC only runs in Linux. Trying to use it on a Windows XP system isn't going to work. If you don't have a Linux computer, then you need to get a computer that either lacks an OS or can have another one installed on top of the one that's there. The BDI (Brain-Dead Installer) disk will install Linux on a computer like that, but don't use it on a system that has anything on it you want to keep.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I wasn't trying to run LinuxCNC in Windows. I was trying to run the bootable CD iso that loads Ubuntu and runs LinuxCNC in it without changing anything on the hard drive. That's the point of the demo mode.

Your description is really not at all helpful. *WHAT* would not "run"? Were you unable to get Linux to boot up to the desktop? Or did Linux boot up successfully, but then you could not run LinuxCNC? If the former, how far did it get? What was on the screen when it died, or whatever it did. If the latter, what, exactly, DID it do? Was the LinuxCNC process running?

You've basically told us "I wanted to go to the store this morning, but neither of my cars would start. They're both Fords. Has anyone else had a similar experience?".

Regards,
    Ray L.

If your trying to run the live CD, it can take a long time to load depending on the speed of your drive. Also, I've seen where the md5 checksum of the ISO matches, but for whatever the reason, it didn't write to the disk correctly. I would redownload the ISO and try to burn another copy.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

rhost-- Thank you.

just today i've installed linux cnc on two machines, and identified half a dozen issues with each one.

find a trashed hard drive and/or resize the partition and install linux #1.
    (yes, i resized the existing ntfs partition.. even though the existing xp liscence was worth more than the computer)

#2 measure jitter before continuing. more than 30uS find a better machine.