584,858 active members*
4,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Getting a baby brother to go with big brother

Getting a baby brother to go with big brother

Just ordered a Novakon Puslar CNC mill to go with my TorusPRO mill. The Pulsar was ordered with a built in computer, and X & Y axes stepper motors. It will also have the fourth axis stepper drive installed.

The Pulsar mill also includes the new power coated stand, upgraded coolant filtration system, Lever Draw Bar, and the Servo spindle motor which provides the capability to do rigid tapping.

Novakon is scheduled to ship my new CNC mill the week of December 9.

I also will be getting a power draw bar for the TorusPRO the week of December 2.

The Puslar is my third Novakon CNC mill -- obviously, I have been very satisfied with my previous two Novakon mills, or I would not have ordered the Pulsar.

Way to go. I expect mine to ship this week. Mine is equipped similar to yours, but I went all servos. We'll have to compare notes once they arrive.

and my order is the same as Ivans... They must be busy at the factory

I'm waiting, but not as anxiously as you guys must be.
    Lee

Let us know how you like the new arrival When is it "DUE"?

Baby Brother arrives tomorrow

Had to delay the delivery of baby brother due to winter weather and other commitments.

Baby brother is schedule to be delivered on Tuesday, February 18 between 2 and 5 pm.

My son and his family are here to help in the delivery.

Let the fun begin!

Christmas in February huh?
    Keep us posted on how you like it. I have heard some pretty good things about the Little guy

Quote Originally Posted by iGAK View Post
    Had to delay the delivery of baby brother due to winter weather and other commitments.

Baby brother is schedule to be delivered on Tuesday, February 18 between 2 and 5 pm.

My son and his family are here to help in the delivery.

Let the fun begin!
    You're gonna love the Pulsar. It'll do almost anything the Pro will, except for very large pieces. Lots of power, lots of speed, lots of precision.

Regards,
    Ray L.

My First Impressions of Baby Brother (Novakon Pulsar)

I ordered the stepper drive Pulsar with the optional built in computer and fourth axis. Everything else was standard. The overall quality of the Pulsar is very impressive.

1) The Pulsar offers more features than any other milling machine in its price range. The Pulsar was a breeze to uncrate and setup. The mill is shipped already installed on its stand. Total setup consisted of installing the four adjustable pads to support the stand, assembling the four part coolant containment tray and adding a 220 volt male electrical plug to the end of the electrical cord. (The electrical cord could also be hard wired into an electrical junction box.)

2) The power coating finish on the electrical panel and stand is beautiful.

3) The two wash down pumps are a real winner. I can’t say enough about using a dedicated pump and hose to wash the chips from the tray into to the large opening below the CNC mill base. It is so easy to pull out the chip collection drawer from the cabinet and dump the chips into a container. Further, a fine mesh screen prevents chips from getting into the coolant tank. The metal flex hose for the coolant spay is a big improvement over the plastic flex hose used on the Torus PRO.

4) I like the accuracy of the spindle (one RPM increments) provided by the servo spindle motor.

5) The Pulsar’s servo spindle motor stops immediately versus one or two seconds it takes my Torus PRO braking resistor to stop its spindle.

6) I do find the Pulsar stepper axis motors a little nosier than my Torus PRO servo axis motors.

7) The sliding metal cover on the Y- Axis ways is a big improvement over vinyl. The Z-Axis is protected with a vinyl according type cover.

8) I like having four slots in the mill table versus three slots provided on other brand mills.

9) Much of the wiring in the electrical control panel are connected by plugging into the various electrical boards and electrical components. This is similar to the way wires are connected to a computer’s mother board and computer components. All wires in the electrical cabinet are clearly labeled. All components can easily be removed and replaced.

10) The electrical panel door is easily removed by releasing one spring loaded pin. There are no screws or hinges to remove.

11) The Lever Draw Bar (LDB) makes quick change tooling removal quick and easy. The optional Power Draw Bar (PDB) would be needed if you were doing a lot of R8 tooling changes. In other words, I like the LDB for the Pulsar and the PDB for the Torus PRO due to the fact that I am not planning on R8 tool changes on the Pulsar.

12) The Pulsar has predrilled and tapped holes to accommodate the addition of the proposed Automatic Tool Changer to be made available in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05781 (800x600).jpg  

Yup, I agree with everything you've said. Even with the few minor "warts" on the prototype machine I have here, it's clearly at the head of its class in terms of features, specs, quality and real-world performance. It's very nicely built, and far more capable that I had expected in a machine this size. I will, once I get a suitable vise, post some videos of it running at max performance. I'm sure folks will be surprised and impressed.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Nice machine and pictures!

I see that there are blue sheet metal covers for the X stepper and the front of the table. Otherwise the table looks very similar to my Torus.

You've got me wondering how similar the Pulsar and Torus spindles are to one another. I would love to have a Lever Draw Bar on the my Torus.

Other than the upgraded stand, I wonder how similar the stepper Pulsar is to the stepper Torus? I wish someone had both a Pulsar and a Torus to do side-by-side comparisons. Maybe I'll invite Ray up to the Bay Area so he can look at a Torus first hand.

Titaniumboy

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    Nice machine and pictures!

I see that there are blue sheet metal covers for the X stepper and the front of the table. Otherwise the table looks very similar to my Torus.

You've got me wondering how similar the Pulsar and Torus spindles are to one another. I would love to have a Lever Draw Bar on the my Torus.

Other than the upgraded stand, I wonder how similar the stepper Pulsar is to the stepper Torus? I wish someone had both a Pulsar and a Torus to do side-by-side comparisons. Maybe I'll invite Ray up to the Bay Area so he can look at a Torus first hand.

Titaniumboy

Or, you come down to Santa Cruz and see a Pulsar first hand! :-) I know the two machines look very similar, but I don't know how deep that similarity goes. My impressions is there are a LOT of differences between the two, many of which are not visible.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Igak has both machines I believe, maybe you could reach out to him by PM
    It is my understanding that the pulsar and torus pro heads are completely different and there is not enough clearence to do a lever draw bar on the pro.
    The pro is considerably larger then the pulsar in physical size and XYZ capacity. I know the table on the pro is much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by ram48 View Post
    Igak has both machines I believe, maybe you could reach out to him by PM
    It is my understanding that the pulsar and torus pro heads are completely different and there is not enough clearence to do a lever draw bar on the pro.
    The pro is considerably larger then the pulsar in physical size and XYZ capacity. I know the table on the pro is much larger.
    He was referring to the Torus, rather than the Torus Pro, which much more comparable to the Pulsar..

Duh!
    Note to self.......put on reading glasses next time.
    Sorry about that

I think there is still enough difference in the two to be an issue.
    The spindle motors are likely the same of the Torus and Pulsar.
    Here is a shot of my Torus and then the Pulsar.

What is obvious to me is the additional box on top with the Estop in the Torus.
    Lee

Hi anybody want to buy a novakon 145 is not moving all novakon say the is very simple but sofar tthey have not get me running my machine

Quote Originally Posted by lcr View Post
    Hi anybody want to buy a novakon 145 is not moving all novakon say the is very simple but sofar tthey have not get me running my machine

QUIT SPAMMING!