584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting C11/Mach3 to control 2.2kw Spindle

Hi, I have some issues on connecting the C11 BOB to VFD (YP-C please see YP-C PDF INVERTER.doc) and getting the C11/Mach3 control my spindle.

Given the image below I made the following connectios (the symbols in red are the C11 terminals):

Attachment 211520

VFD -> C11 :

S1 -> PIN 1 (NO)
    S2 -> PIN 2 (NO)
    COM -> VIN2 (PIN1) & VIN1 (PIN16)
    FU -> 10V (PIN 14)
    COM -> GND (PIN 14)

Also, I attach some screenshots from Mach3 settings (Mach3 Screenshot Settings.zip), as you may understand better my case.

Using a multimeter:
    I verified that variable speed control gets 12vdc isolated from a 12v power supply.
    I checked that the 0-10vdc analog output does not give any indication or changes according to pot turning.
    In Mach3, I tried to "Spindle Toggle" but my spindle does not start.

Any ideas would be bery helpful,

Thanks in advance,
    Kostas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Kostas;
    I received your PM and I'll try to help if possible.
    I'm assuming that you have installed the xml file from cnc4pc website. Please check the following.
    Make sure to define pin 14 for step in motor outputs!
    These manuals are not very clear in that the on board relays operate using pin 1 and 16 which should be defined on the output signal screen output 1 and output 2. In the engine configuration ports and pins screen and define m3 and m4 (cw and ccw) pins as 1 and 16 in the relay control section. What you have done is define mach output 1 for m3 (cw) and output 2 for m4 (CCW) which correspond to predefined pins 1 and 16 and spindle direction control.
    When you test your spindle voltage at the BOB, go to the MDI screen and type in M3 for cw operation then a speed value such as s12000. This should give you a voltage output at the analog out terminal of the c11 card. The potentiometer is just for trimming the speed to the most accurate value and will not cause a voltage change if the speed command is not entered.
    Also, I've switched all of my equipment to PMDX BOB and smoothsteppers.
    Sooooo, please be aware that I'm not near my equipment and working from memory using the information you have provided and a very old memory!
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    I'm assuming that you have installed the xml file from cnc4pc website.
    No, I have not installed that XML to Mach3 yet. Is this going to change my current settings?

Make sure to define pin 14 for step in motor outputs!
    So, you mean that pin 14 is for step and 16 is for the dir in motor outputs?

Finally, regarding my wirings, are these ok?

Thanks,
    Kostas.

Quote Originally Posted by kostas1 View Post
    No, I have not installed that XML to Mach3 yet. Is this going to change my current settings?

I don't have a clue if it will change anything in your setup. You can try without the file and load it as a last resort. It's always a good idea to save a copy of your existing file before making any changes so you can revert back to where you started if problem occur.

So, you mean that pin 14 is for step and 16 is for the dir in motor outputs?

If you make the changes to your setup I've outlined above, it may work. If not, at least I'll know that part is most likely correct and we can resume from there. Direction will be controlled by the relays as I defined above.

Finally, regarding my wirings, are these ok?

The wiring looks ok to me but again, get the output from the c11 card corrected first THEN worry about your field wiring.

Bill

Thanks,
    Kostas.
    Bill
    billyjack

Finally managed to get it working!!!

Hi again, finally I managed to get the spindle turning by C11/Mach3 combination following the steps below:

1) Wiring from VFD to C11 (please see the YP-C document attachment in my 1st post):
    VFD -> C11
    S1 -> PIN 1 (NO)
    S2 -> PIN 2 (NO)
    COM -> VIN2 (PIN1) & VIN1 (PIN16)
    FU -> 10V (PIN 14)
    COM -> GND (PIN 14)

2) Set the YP-C VFD parameteres for controlling it from outside:
    P0000 -> 1
    P0001 -> 1

3) In Mach3 Port & Pins, I put the following settings:
    a) Motor Outputs -> Spindle [step pin:14, dir pin:8, step port:1, dir port:1] (didn't understand the 8 in dir pin but it worked)
    b) Output Signals -> Enable Output #1 [port:1, pin:1], Output #2 [port:1, pin:16] and Charge Pump [port:1, pin:17]
    c) Spindle Setup -> Relay Control -> Uncheck 'Disable Spindle Relays', M3 Output #1:1, M4 Output #2:2
    d) Spindle Setup -> Motor Control -> Check 'Use spindle motor output' and 'Step/Dir Motor'
    e) Motor tuning and Setup -> Spindle -> Steps Per:1000, Step Pulse:5, Dir Pulse:1

4) I fine tuned the C11 pot by setting the Step Pulse to 5 and managed to get 10.02V in multimeter, so I started the testing from Mach3 MDI screen.

My testing started by typing in MDI command prompt the following: m3 s12000. I noticed that Mach3 warned me about 'Too fast for puley - Using Max'
    and then I noticed that the max spindle speed was set to 8000 in Mach3 main screen. So, I assumed that I had to increase this to 24000 as this is my spindle max RPM. I found a setting under Config -> Spindle Pulleys and I selected the Pulley Number 5 and set it to 24000 instead of its default value (25000). Is this OK to be changed?
    So, returning to MDI screen, I typed m3 s24000 and took a voltage measure of 10.02V, then set it to s12000 and got 4.9V (not 5V). Is this OK?

Also, please check the following video and noticed the frequency in VFD's screen. In s24000 I get 400Hz but in s12000 I get ~195Hz. Is this OK?
    Also please notice that in s200 (my last test in the video), it actually does not turn but it is considered as 'started' in Mach3 screen.

Getting the Mach3 / C11 control the Chinese 2.2kw Spindle through VFD - YouTube

Thank you very much for your help Bill !!!

Glad it worked out for you. Regarding the accuracy of Mach to control the speed, I've been warned not to expect any true accuracy but more like a ball park speed. Maybe others can chime in here and give better advice. I don't do rigid tapping or anything close but maybe others have.
    Good job with getting it working.
    Bill
    billyjack

Glad it worked out for you. Regarding the accuracy of Mach to control the speed, I've been warned not to expect any true accuracy but more like a ball park speed. Maybe others can chime in here and give better advice. I don't do rigid tapping or anything close but maybe others have.
    Good job with getting it working.
    Bill
    Ok I got my answer from Arturo (cnc4pc.com):

"This is an analog control, not digital, It is accurate to 0.25%, this is incredibly accurate for an spindle. If you want to do position control, then you need a servo on the spindle, not a VFD.
    If you are using a 24,000 RPMS, 200RPM is less then 1% of the max speed. I do not know of an spindle that can do 1% of the max speed. In any case, you will need to check the datasheet for the spindle you are using.
    "