584,829 active members*
5,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone have PCNC770 power draw bar manual? color?

Anyone have PCNC770 power draw bar manual? color?

Hi guys,

Anyone happen to have PCNC770 Power Draw bar instalation manual? possibly in COLOR? or digital copy? I got my PDB today and my god, the manual is crappy black print, the picture is so DARK, I can not see anything.

I tried to look for a pdf copy on their website, no luck... was going to try to install this over the weekend.

Thanks.

Does this help? It is for a 1100 but the author does an excellent job of covering the topic. Maybe with your manual and this video you can get it done?
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Welll... I guess I'm dumb. But the manual picture and the video above is different then the panel I have.... I am not even sure how to remove the wire? Can't see any screw, pull on it it's pretty tight... How to remove the wire?

Anyone have a picture of your 770 S3 with a Power Draw bar install? can you take a picture and post it please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8062.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
    I am not even sure how to remove the wire? Can't see any screw, pull on it it's pretty tight... How to remove the wire?
    What you have are spring clamp terminals, stick a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot near the wire. Press the screwdriver into the terminal block while pulling on the wire. Do the opposite to re-terminate.

Quote Originally Posted by ivans View Post
    What you have are spring clamp terminals, stick a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot near the wire. Press the screwdriver into the terminal block while pulling on the wire. Do the opposite to re-terminate.
    Thanks Ivan, that's what I thought to... but I stick a round driver instead of a flat... no wonder why it didn't work, also need to lift up.

I think I got it down... here's the finish wiring, I hope this is right.

Also, I bought the air filter thing from tormach as well.. it said to use Air Tool oil, but all I have now is AirCompressor oil? will this work?

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8063.jpg  

I would not substitute compressor oil for air tool oil, different viscosity. Go to Home Depot tomorrow and get the right oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ivans View Post
    I would not substitute compressor oil for air tool oil, different viscosity. Go to Home Depot tomorrow and get the right oil.
    Thanks... I went to HomeDepot after dinner and got some Husky air tool oil. Spend about another hour and got it working good... However, definitely would had been much easier if the manual was in color and up to date with my machine, the piston washer was the right size (did not fit in the piston hex screw) and the control box hole line up (the hole was 1/4 off), so I end up having to do some extra work.

I guess I could have expected too much. But good thing is it's working now and I can do my tool change in 5seconds, instead of of 2 mins.

I just installed a power drawbar on my new 770 a few days ago. I faced the same challenges as you. My control box was off as well. One question for you. After torquing down my drawbar to a level where the tool just falls out upon actuation, the distance between the drawbar and hexnut coming out of the cylinder is much greater than recommended in the manual (about 4-5mm). This despite the fact that all of the supplied washers are installed on the hex nut. How does yours look? Should I find a way to reduce the space?

Quote Originally Posted by spletcher1 View Post
    I just installed a power drawbar on my new 770 a few days ago. I faced the same challenges as you. My control box was off as well. One question for you. After torquing down my drawbar to a level where the tool just falls out upon actuation, the distance between the drawbar and hexnut coming out of the cylinder is much greater than recommended in the manual (about 4-5mm). This despite the fact that all of the supplied washers are installed on the hex nut. How does yours look? Should I find a way to reduce the space?
    Mine came with 1 washer installed. But it was still about 8-10mm spacing, it came with 1 extra washer, wouldn't be enough and it was too smaller inner od, wouldn't fit. So I had to get on my lathe, turn out a flat spacer about 4mm thick. After that it work good. I'm no expert, but I think the reason to minimize the space is to retain the power and the increase the impact so it will release better with less air used (this is just my thought).

I've had similar frustrations with the Tormach manuals. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1245642

They have been advertising for a new technical writer, so maybe the manuals will be upgraded down the road. It can be very difficult to do a good job on technical writing, especially manuals where engineering changes and diverse audience capabilities can really complicate the process.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
    Mine came with 1 washer installed. But it was still about 8-10mm spacing, it came with 1 extra washer, wouldn't be enough and it was too smaller inner od, wouldn't fit. So I had to get on my lathe, turn out a flat spacer about 4mm thick. After that it work good. I'm no expert, but I think the reason to minimize the space is to retain the power and the increase the impact so it will release better with less air used (this is just my thought).
    As I understand it, that amount of space is just fine. Mine is just under another washer and has given me no problem whatsoever.

Re: Anyone have PCNC770 power draw bar manual? color?

Huh. I'm in the middle of installing a PDB on a 770 (two years after the OP) and all of the issues mentioned above still exist:
    1. Poor photos in the printed manual and no on-line copy (that I could find anyway)
    2. Wiring instructions and photos are for old screw terminal and blue wires have spade lugs that have to be cut off for the push-in DIN terminals in the machine
    3. Control box holes haves to be filed to fit.

Of course these are not big issues, but it has been 2 years.

Normally Tormach is really good about having pdf's of all their documents available on their website. And those documents are always in color.

But in this case, I couldn't find any installation manuals. Very strange. Maybe they are afraid customers will reverse-engineer their installation instead of buying it if they have access to the manual?

Call Tormach on Monday and ask them to email you the pdf (or post it on their website).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Please see attached.

Jason Penn of Tormach recommended watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua1UXh9l3c4
    around the 1:05 point to better understand how to connect wires to the terminal strips.